from SPRING '09 issue of T&TH

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

from SPRING '09 issue of T&TH

Postby mark hay » April 6th, 2009, 12:56 pm

i have always been aggravated by the fact that i do not know anything about mouthcalls . sure it is my fault . i did not keep notes on make and model of the ones that did not work for me . i never tried to find the correct information about the differences in calls such as single reed vs. a triple . i always shied away from 3 and 4 reed calls until the last couple of years.
 the article in the spring '09 issue , by brian lovett is a real eye opener for me .
 i appreciate the magazine.

swpatrkyhunter

RE: from SPRING '09 issue of T&TH

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 6th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Completely understand where your coming from Mark!

It is a great article. Learned alot that I did not know as well as I thought I did.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 7th, 2009, 1:50 am

While there are big fans of every type of turkey call, the diaphram shines for me.  I like the way you can make realistic calls with almost no movement. I also appreciate how diaphram calls take up minimal space in a vest.  The fact that there are so many styles of reed cuts manufactured allows any practiced caller to achieve the sound(s) they are looking for. I'm not going to win any calling contests anytime soon, but diaphrams keep me near the top of my game against the toughest judges in the woods.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 7th, 2009, 12:20 pm

don't get me wrong , i have been working mouth calls for nearly 30 years . some would make a few calls ,,,some would make more ,,,and what i use now will make 'em all . the trial and error part has wasted some money , but how does one learn ?
 i just don't recall reading an article that broke things down the way this one did. and now the diaphram picture is much clearer.
 like many , i prefer the mouth call over the rest for its simplicity , concealment and wide range of calls it will produce ,,,from young fall birds to the oldest yelpin' tom , without changing the mouth call .

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 7th, 2009, 12:42 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

i have always been aggravated by the fact that i do not know anything about mouthcalls . sure it is my fault . i did not keep notes on make and model of the ones that did not work for me . i never tried to find the correct information about the differences in calls such as single reed vs. a triple . i always shied away from 3 and 4 reed calls until the last couple of years.
 the article in the spring '09 issue , by brian lovett is a real eye opener for me .
 i appreciate the magazine.

Is there anyway I can get that issue? I can't seem to find one on the newstand anywhere around here.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 7th, 2009, 1:01 pm

eveningTRKYNUT,
i do believe there is a place on the T&TH website about subscribing . sorry ,,,i can't tell you specifically.
 there is also a subscription services phone number on page 4 of mag ,,if you have a recent issue.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 7th, 2009, 3:19 pm

For me the hardest part about using a diaphram was not only learning but haveing confidance to use it in the woods. Best thing I did was for a couple of days two years ago I took ONLY a couple diaphrams with me which forced me in a do or die situation.And you know what I called in a Jake on the first day! Boosted my confidance right up. The second day I got into an argument with a boss hen and was able to mimic her calls which had a tom coming right in to me , but she eventually won the battle.

trkynut! What part of Pa do you live? I live in southwestern pa and just got that issue about three days ago. If I find another one I can send it to you.  When I opened it I was surprised to see one of my forum posts in it. Had a big head for a day or so. LOL!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 7th, 2009, 4:25 pm

I live in Mifflin County
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » April 8th, 2009, 7:30 am

That's pretty cool...

I doubt you'll ever see one of mine lol
"public land will make a turkey hunter out of ya"

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 8th, 2009, 8:20 am

I'm an admitted beginner with a mouth call.  My biggest hang up on using them more often is the fact that I'm awlays questioning how it sounds.  Ever listen to a recording of your voice?  It sounds strange, huh.  You hear you own voice (and i'm presuming vocal turkey calls) through both air and bone conduction of sound.  What I think sounds real turkey like might not sound that great outside my own head.  friction calls don't really have that problem.  I guess if I got off my own butt and had someone take a listen, I might be able to gage things better.  So far, I've been using them just to make soft clucks and purrs to get them into range. 

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion