Painting Gun Stock

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
treefarmer

Painting Gun Stock

Postby treefarmer » March 19th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Is there a business out there that will paint a black synthetic gun stock in one of the camo configurations such as Mossy Oak New Breakup?  Thanks.

allaboutshooting

RE: Painting Gun Stock

Postby allaboutshooting » March 19th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place with lots of folks who will try to be helpful to you.

There seem to be hundreds of folks who are in the business of applying camo finishes to guns. Most use a dipping process. I don't have experience with any of them however.

There are also kits that you can purchase that include everything that you need to paint a gun in camo colors. They are relatively inexpensive and they do work quite well. All you need is a bit of time and a place to spray the paint.

I used to paint guns in camo colors for a gun shop years ago and many of those guns are still going strong.

A flat black or gray gun will of course do anything that's needed for turkey hunting. The very best turkey hunter that I've known used a Remington 1100 blue with shiny stock and forearm.

I'm sure someone here has had a gun camoed and can give you a place to start. You may want to shop a few for the best price also.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 19th, 2009, 6:02 pm

ORIGINAL: treefarmer

Is there a business out there that will paint a black synthetic gun stock in one of the camo configurations such as Mossy Oak New Breakup?  Thanks.

Treefarmer,

I used to paint my own guns using DuraCoat, a two-part process, that produced an attractive and very durable finish.  DuraCoat is rather costly.

Krylon makes camo colors that you simply apply yourself in a single step.  Krylon is about as economical as it gets.

Bownell's even has temporary camo colors you can spray on and remove later with their removal solvent.  They even supply little stencils to spray over to simulate leaf and limb shadows. 

The most attractive and durable coating I have ever seen is done by http://www.camo-solutions.com/.  He's not overly expensive nor is he particularly economical; his work is simply excellent.  If you decide to spend a little and send your gun there he can do just about anything you can imagine and you will love the results.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 20th, 2009, 1:16 am

I did mine up with Krylon camo paint after removing a camo decal that had been on for over a decade.

Here are the pics of what I did:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dorfdimpaler/BubbazTurkeygun?feat=directlink

[align=center]
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 20th, 2009, 4:33 am

Treefarmer  There are several companies out there that will dip your complete gun or pieces of it in about any camo pattern out there. Shaman explains the DIY Krylon painting proses very well. Here is a link to another example of a Krylon Camo paint job kind of a bottomlands look. http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/camouflage-paint-rifle-1.php

These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 20th, 2009, 8:58 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

I did mine up with Krylon camo paint after removing a camo decal that had been on for over a decade.

Here are the pics of what I did:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dorfdimpaler/BubbazTurkeygun?feat=directlink[align=center]

Shaman, man, that's a sharp-looking paint job!  I'd never have guessed that a gun could be made to look that good with Krylon.

You have talent sir.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 20th, 2009, 10:55 am

Hey William,

That's some great work and I really like the way you laid it out for for all of us to see the exact process you used.

There is something kind of special about doing our own work, isn't there? It makes what we use more a part of us. I think the same is true with anything we use to hunt.

Good pictures and great looking gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 20th, 2009, 2:20 pm

ORIGINAL: allaboutshooting

Hey William,

That's some great work and I really like the way you laid it out for for all of us to see the exact process you used.

There is something kind of special about doing our own work, isn't there? It makes what we use more a part of us. I think the same is true with anything we use to hunt.

Good pictures and great looking gun.

Thanks,
Clark

Like TSS 10 gauge handloads?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 20th, 2009, 2:33 pm

PROFESSIONAL JOB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very nice

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 20th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Shaman,

You should become a DuraCoat rep and hang out your shingle.  Your pattern and over all job is stunning.  You could make some extra pocket change painting guns for people.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion