Top 10 list?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
JPH

Top 10 list?

Postby JPH » April 6th, 2009, 4:39 am

Okay, minus your ID, licance, tags, gun, ammo, and clothing, what are the 10 most important items you carry on a turkey hunt? In other words, if you could only carry 10 things (each call counts as one) what would they be?

OakRoadHunter

RE: Top 10 list?

Postby OakRoadHunter » April 6th, 2009, 5:11 am

Owl Call, Pot call, 2 of my prefered mouth calls, Box call, 1 hen/1 jake decoy, Camera, Oatmeal bar, and Bladder pack. Not in that order of course but that would get me by well I would hope.
Calling 'um up close

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 6th, 2009, 5:14 am

1:Cody slate call
2:Boss Hen Mouth Call
3:Lynch Box
4:My turkey seat gotta have that
5:My orange bag to put my bird in if I'm lucky enough to harvest one.
6:Cell Phone

All I can think of, but I expect an edit in minute now
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

JPH

Postby JPH » April 6th, 2009, 5:19 am

Guys, I forgot to ask that we list them in order of importance to us. Feel free to edit.

Here's mine:
1. Cutter style, 2.5 diaphram
2. Pot/Peg call
3. Self-supporting seat
4. Binoculars
5. Hen decoy
6. Areial photo
7. Wet wipes (these could easily rank higher)
8. Camera
9. Cell phone
10. Box call

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » April 6th, 2009, 5:19 am

I don't know about naming 10 total, it depends on where I'm at, what time of day it is, and whether I'm hoofing it.  If I'm having to be mobile, I don't even like a vest.  I'd rather just carry a diaphram in my cheek, a trumpet on a lanyard around my neck, and a trough slate in my shirt pocket.  I have a homemade seat cushion that I hang from the back of my belt and I carry my shotgun in front of me.  Sometimes I forego the seat cushion as well.  It twist around and makes noise when it brushes up against things.

Perhaps the most important tool to me is my watch.  I'm naturally impatient and I have to impose strict minimum time limits on myself.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 6th, 2009, 6:17 am

1: Cody Ledgen Slate.
2: SS. Custom Box.
3: HS. 2.5 Cutter.
4: Perfection Raspy D.
5: Perfection 3-D Omega.
6: Snacks.
7: Gatorade.
8: Buck knife.
9: Streamlight pen light.
10: Paper towels.
Turkeybuster

shaman

Postby shaman » April 6th, 2009, 6:37 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Okay, minus your ID, licance, tags, gun, ammo, and clothing, what are the 10 most important items you carry on a turkey hunt? In other words, if you could only carry 10 things (each call counts as one) what would they be?

Top 10?

A box call-- I've got several and I rotate them
A pot call -- I've got several
A push-pin -- I've got a couple Easy Yelpers
A mouth call or two

A butt pad-- that is amazingly important
A turkey tote-- if nothing else, I throw in a spare shoelace. That's really all you need, but nowadays I carry a hunter orange tote bag so I don't get shot.

A flashlight
A compass
A whistle
A knife
A book of matches
A cellphone or walkie talkie

That's 12, but I never go anywhere without the compass, whistle, knife and book of matches-- even if its a half mile to the back of the property.  They are all important for personal survival.  I'm a stickler on it too. 

Even though I know the property like the back of my hand, I know what it's like:
Compass:
1)  I've been stuck in fog so thick I couldn't see 10 feet. A compass is your only hope
2)  I've been physically incapacitated-- I've never had to crawl out, but I know folks that have.  If you're down on the ground and in pain, your sense of direction gets screwed up in a hurry.
3)  I've had heat stroke and gotten my  head really screwed up.  I hear hypothermia can do the same thing, but so far I've been lucky.

Whistle:  You'll use up your energy calling for help.  When it gets bad, sit down, pull out the whistle and call.

I now carry a Caughlins compass/whistle combination. I used to carry the Compass/whistle/matchcase, but it was taking up room.  THe former costs $2.99 at Walmart. The laster costs $5.99.  That and a knife in your pocket have you pretty well fixed.

A knife:  A world of uses

Matches:  If it gets really bad, just sit down and build a fire and wait for rescue. It also really settles your head if you've gotten mixed up and lost.

Cellphone or walkie talkie:  I'm 50.  I'm not 25 anymore.  There are a bunch of things that happen to 50 yr olds that don't happen to 25 year olds.  A good many of them can be remedied with swift rescue.

The one thing you need to leave behind:  Leave a note on your car telling folks where you'll be, and when you're due out. Better yet, leave that with your next of wife, family, or next of kin.  Do not just drive off somewhere, park the truck and walk into some place and hunt.  It'll be days before you're found and you'll be mulch.  I hunted alone for years, and always called my Mom or my Wife and told them fairly exact plans. Included in those plans was a time certain when it was a good idea to call the authorities and mount a search. 

Lastly:  Anytime you go out remember to keep your head on straight.  A cool head is your best asset. Don't let yourself go nuts pursuing a gobbler. Don't let yourself get too cold or too hot.  Don't overextend yourself. We take for granted that we'll be sensible out there, but somebody always seems to get hurt, lost, or shot.  Keep it all in one sock, guys.  No one is immune.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

jbhodj

Postby jbhodj » April 6th, 2009, 6:48 am

Depends on what season Im hunting, where Im hunting and how well I scouted but if I had to pick 10 items:

1. Seat cushion
2. Extra pair socks
3. Anodized Aluminum Pot Call probably
4. Birch Striker
5. Carbon Tipped Striker for wet conditions
6, Maple Striker
7. Mouth call
8. Box Call
9. Crow Call
10. Thermo Cell

I will edit this, and say taking some water to the timber is important so I would replace the carbon tipped strikers with a bladder hydro bag or a bottle of water.

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 6th, 2009, 8:26 am

Since I already have my tags/gun/amo/ect, I would have to rank in order of importance:

1.  IFAK (refer to http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=5253 ) my kit now also has a 1ft square blaze orange flag.
2.  Water
3.  Radio/cell phone
4.  Map & Compass
5.  Knife 
6.  Flint
7.  1 good pot call
8.  1 good mouth call
9.  Warming layer
10. 100' of para cord.

The rest are just bonus items I guess.  I think that with all this stuff, I would be not only able to hunt, but manage to get myself out of a sticky situation as well.  win, win.  The actual turkey hunting comes second to being safe in my opinion.  But then again, I don't for a second forget why I'm out there in the 1st place [;)]

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » April 6th, 2009, 8:48 am

Not in any order

crow call
pot call
mouth call
lynch box
turkey  seat
1 hen
1 jake
carmera