set up

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
SCHUNTER

set up

Postby SCHUNTER » April 7th, 2009, 2:43 am

i have got this place that is about 200yrds from where thay are roosting.
my problem is that no matter what time i get there.the toms seams too know that i am there.have tryed comming up different ways.still no luck
any ideas?

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: set up

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » April 7th, 2009, 3:37 am

I would suggest finding a new place a little further from there roost especially if your hunting early before things have really greened up.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

OakRoadHunter

Postby OakRoadHunter » April 7th, 2009, 3:42 am

Maby setup a ground blind and brush it in the day before, circle around and come in from behind it and prehaps they wont spy you. Though moving a little farther down from there roost would most likely help also. Do they get hened up early in the morning?
Calling 'um up close

shaman

Postby shaman » April 7th, 2009, 3:58 am

It may be that you and that set-up are blown for the season with that gobbler.  If he's on to you, and you've shown him all your calls getting him to come in may be very hard indeed.  I would try hitting the other side of the roost or noting where the gobbler and his flock go after flydown and setting up along that travel route so that you can intercept him later on in the morning.

I would also look at calling very conservatively to this roost from here on out.  A cluck  hear and there, some scratching, some purring.  You've shown your hand to these gobbler.  Don't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

One of my faults early on was thinking I could replay a bad day and make things right.  If I got busted on the east side of the roost on Monday, I might be back on Tuesday and hit the west side of the roost.  Nope.  Part of this was turkeys seeming to remember.  Another part of this was they just were not receptive to my repertoire of calls that time of the season.  What I've learned as the years go on is that if the roost is indifferent to my calling today, they may yet be receptive later in the season.  I can think of a couple of instances where I got into a flock the first week and didn't have luck, but I came back and showed them the same stuff on the last weekend and got a hot response. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 9th, 2009, 10:26 am

I had that same problem by my Dads for the last couple years. So I decided to figure out why. I was so concerned on where the Toms were roosted I did not pay attention to where all the Hens where at. Or I only worried about where one or two toms where roosted. So my hunting buddy and i recently went in to see exactly what trees ALL the birds were roosting at and found that the way they scatterd around the ridge line gave them a clear veiw of any movement for about 300 yards or so depending on vegatation growth. If one bird sees you then they can alert the others or drag them in the opposite direction from you. With this new found knowledge of where all the birds were roosting we found three possibable ways to sneak in with out getting busted. One way would be really hard to go through in the dark so that leaves us only two ways to get at them. Don't know how open your area is but check out where they are roosting EXACTLY and think about where all they can see from the roost and plan your approach from there.

Good Luck! 
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 9th, 2009, 10:39 am

howdy schunter...are you using a flashlight when you go in? and also, how much earlier than daybreak are you getting there?
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » April 9th, 2009, 12:21 pm

I would go in from a different direction and set up 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion