Turkey kill zone for bow hunters

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Kawboy888

Turkey kill zone for bow hunters

Postby Kawboy888 » April 4th, 2010, 11:18 pm

For those of you that bow hunt or want to try bow hunting for a Gobbler, here is a picture of where I like to shoot...the hips..

I try to draw a straight line from where the neck meets the body and straight down his legs when he is fanned out. When he is tucked up, look for the curve on the chest and draw your line.

Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

arrowsonly

RE: Turkey kill zone for bow hunters

Postby arrowsonly » April 5th, 2010, 2:41 am

PERFECT nothing else to say as far as a side shot; be paciant & wait for that shot, get em close less than 10 yards ! The sounds a strutting tom makes are unforgetable "puff ti boooom" & the vibration you will actualy feel...
I have been awakend to that sound more than once, I feel my silence & my decoy set up attracts more birds.

I started bowhunting for turkeys in 1996 and took head shots without any luck, 5 or 6 at least over time.
Then my first harvest was @ 3 yards thru the side of my "home made" blind; right there as pictured....

Do have any pictures of the rear shot or spine shot ?
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 5th, 2010, 4:02 am

Here is the best "shot placement" post I have seen for archery turkey.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... p?t=228905

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 5th, 2010, 10:19 am

Thanks a lot tree rooster, that's an excellent addition to this thread
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 5th, 2010, 11:14 am

ORIGINAL: arrowsonly

PERFECT nothing else to say as far as a side shot; be paciant & wait for that shot, get em close less than 10 yards ! The sounds a strutting tom makes are unforgetable "puff ti boooom" & the vibration you will actualy feel...
I have been awakend to that sound more than once, I feel my silence & my decoy set up attracts more birds.

I started bowhunting for turkeys in 1996 and took head shots without any luck, 5 or 6 at least over time.
Then my first harvest was @ 3 yards thru the side of my "home made" blind; right there as pictured....

Do have any pictures of the rear shot or spine shot ?

The Texas Heart Shot is one of the best shots to take on a strutter, it runs your arrow clean through everything needed to be hit and most time they just tip over.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

JoshAaron91685

Postby JoshAaron91685 » April 6th, 2010, 3:04 am

ORIGINAL: WillowRidgeCalls

The Texas Heart Shot is one of the best shots to take on a strutter, it runs your arrow clean through everything needed to be hit and most time they just tip over.

I love the Texas heart shot and the Head-on, full strut, through the base of the neck, organs, hips, and out the duke-E hole shot.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion