Poll No Turkey- Hunts

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
charlie elk

Poll No Turkey- Hunts

Postby charlie elk » June 5th, 2014, 9:16 am

Who likes to read stories of hunts when no turkey is bagged? When the turkey is missed or otherwise whiffed on?

Over the last few years I've received some criticisms about only posting stories that resulted in a turkey's death and none about "unsuccessful hunts". Most of the stories I post here and on my blog are about getting to the dead turkey point but there are few about whiffs and choosing not to shoot a particular turkey. The stories about a dead turkey get a lot more traffic (reads) than those without a dead turkey.

Opinions please...

Another aside I'm not sure what to make of --The number one all time post I have ever written is "How to Legally Bait Wild Turkeys" There are literally thousands of searches for baiting turkeys, not sure if these are coming from hunters or those who want to observe turkeys. But the traffic on this post picks up during spring and fall hunting seasons.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Poll No Turkey- Hunts

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 5th, 2014, 2:06 pm

I consider the stories are of equal interest whether you bag a bird or not. It's good to learn what other hunters are trying and find out whether it worked or it didn't. It gives you other suggestion on some different things to try. It may not of worked for one person, but it may work for another?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mookyj

Postby mookyj » June 6th, 2014, 10:34 am

I have published non-kill stories over the years in blogs,and in my books. Some of the best memories don't include stepping on their heads. My all time favorite story "Loudest Day" ended with a miss. I did another story about the following year were I believe I got a 2nd whack at the same bird and finished the job. THat first story stands on it's own , and is one of my favorites days in the turkey woods

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » June 8th, 2014, 11:23 am

I like to read and of course I like reading about turkey hunting. What I enjoy the most is either reading about a good story I can relate to or learning something new. If a story is well written I can enjoy it just as much if the turkey doesn't get killed.

As for you legally baiting turkeys article; its a catchy title and I am sure many look at it to see what it is all about. BTW I looked foir it on your site but didn't find it.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 8th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Treerooster wrote: BTW I looked foir it on your site but didn't find it.

It is here http://www.charlieelk.com/2013/how-to-l ... d-turkeys/

I know I need to take time to organize and categorize things on my blog, there is getting to be quite a bit of content there. Google and other search engines are doing a better job than I at that. :oops:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 8th, 2014, 4:31 pm

I generally prefer reading about hunts that end with a bird being tagged, but I can relate to those "close but no cigar" stories, because I've had so many things happen where the turkey won. I like to be able to learn from others experiences, so that it might help me somewhere down the line. Or, I think beck where something similar happened to me and how the writer reacted to the situation.

Jim.
Luck Counts, good or bad

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 12th, 2014, 9:08 pm

I like reading stories of turkey hunting weather or not someone ends up getting a turkey. If the story is well written you can learn something from it.
Is it turkey season yet?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 27th, 2014, 4:47 am

I am way late to this discussion but I believe it goes to the heart of what turkey hunting is really all about.

For many of us "senior" hunters, our first experiences at turkey hunting were not, "Get gun, go to woods and shoot turkey." Most of my early hunts were learning experiences and if I even heard a turkey it was fantastic. I still remember the first turkey, a hen, that I saw from a distance. What a thrill that was.

In those early days, if you were lucky enough to hear a gobbler anywhere, you went after him and stayed on him for the duration. Success was not measured by the kill but by the thrill of the hunt and just being able to be out in the spring chasing a turkey. There was more preparation, more conversation, more scouting, more early morning rising, more bacon & eggs, more exhaustion after several days of hunting and maybe even more satisfaction in knowing you'd given it your best shot whether that meant literally shooting a turkey or just giving fair chase.

The real heart and soul of this wonderful sport is the chase.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion