Turkey Reaping

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mookyj

Turkey Reaping

Postby mookyj » May 29th, 2014, 8:30 am

Seen all I could stand of this

http://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=126

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Turkey Reaping

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 29th, 2014, 9:25 am

AGREE 100%
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » May 29th, 2014, 12:41 pm

I am not sure what he is against. Using a turkey decoy or fan to sneak up on turkeys or the use of ultra realist decoys like the DSD. Also He talks about ethics but in his scenario there is no mention of the hunter ever seeing a beard. I know where I hunt a turkey must have a clearly visible beard to be harvested. I take the beards off of my tom decoys for that reason !
I have also had hunters stalk both my hen and tom/jake/hen decoy set ups. Some of these were before i had the DSD type decoys. I think there is a lot more to it when you talk ethics then just jumping on the band wagon against someone that uses a decoy or fan to stalk a turkey. Everytime I step into the turkey woods I am leery about getting shot at whether I have a decoy with me or not and that is even more scary I think.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 29th, 2014, 11:22 pm

My assumption was he's against the danger of using those new decoys that people grab and crawl across a hayfield or sneak through and open pasture while hiding behind them. In some instances the grass is high enough to cover a good most of a person laying flat behind one. What he was talking about with the high end decoys, is that they are starting to look so life like, that it takes a person a double look to tell if it's a decoy or not, and in some instances if you caught just a quick glance at one some people are so intent at filling a tag that they don't waste another second to look that area over to see if there is a hunter sitting there, they throw their gun to their shoulder and shoot, because your first instinct is there's a gobbler. With your attention glued to that gobbler and one eye closed and the other fixed on the gun sights, you don't see a hunter in full camo sitting there, even if they move all they see is a brown blob movement, turkeys are brown. Even the newer camo's are getting so realistic that it takes more that a quick look to see someone.
I use decoys most times, and if I have my strutter set up, I have a blaze orange hat or wrap that I wrap around a small tree at about 4' off the ground, so if someone sneaking up or even just walking passed sees that blaze orange, it doesn't effect the birds one bit, but someone can see that bright orange real easy.

IMO that was the point he was trying to make. That it's only a short time, before someone gets hurt or killed using one of them.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » May 30th, 2014, 2:05 pm

I guess if someone gets shot you could conveniently blame them but I have to say i have never seen a wild turkey in the field that could be mistaken for a hunter and vise versa I have never seen a turkey decoy or hunter in the field that could be mistaken for an actual turkey so I guess I don't get how someone could actually shoot a hunter even doing this if they even half employ the rules of safe hunting. I am not saying this is a tactic I endorse or use but saying that it would lead to hunters shooting each other says more about the hunting community that putting a decoy out in front of you.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » May 30th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Maybe it is hard to understand how someone could confuse a decoy or man from a actual living wild turkey, but the mind sees what it wants to. Many accidents have confirmed this. I feel I have a right to comment on this safety issue more than most; having been shot and nearly died in turkey hunting accident. There is no rational reason to take chances for the sake of increased success, it simply is not worth it, period. If you ever find yourself lying on a forest floor wondering if this is the day you die or if you'll ever see your loved ones, hold your grandchildren and regretting you didn't kiss your wife and tell her you loved her that morning you will see things quite differently. To think that someone else will ever have to lay in the woods and suffer such torment and pain as I just for a little better chance to kill a gobbler literally makes me tear up and weep. I can't help but relive that day every time this type discussion comes up. If you think it can never happen to you.......[/b]YOU ARE WRONG![/u]
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 30th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Well stated Dana...

Glad you are still with us!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 30th, 2014, 4:12 pm

eggshell wrote:Maybe it is hard to understand how someone could confuse a decoy or man from a actual living wild turkey, but the mind sees what it wants to. Many accidents have confirmed this.

eggshell wrote: If you think it can never happen to you.......YOU ARE WRONG!

Exactly Right.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

mookyj

Postby mookyj » May 30th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Scott your assumption about my intent & concerns is correct. Folks over at oldgobbler claim I'm a being liberal, telling everyone what to do, but they don't seem to get the message. I ask that you ponder my comments and if you agree make your voices heard. Even been insulted as bad as being called an Obama voter (fighting words at our home) At the end of the day. like me or not, or my opinion at least I got folks to think about it, draw your own conclusions. For the record, registered conservative for many years, and can't stomach our current president

timbrhuntr

Postby timbrhuntr » May 30th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Eggshell I hear what you are saying and although I don't know the circumstances I wouldn't wish what happened to you to happen to anyone. As a former police officer and firefighter I have twice been injured and in a state/situation that where I truly wondered if I would ever see my family again. It is not a good feeling. I also know that being shot by another hunter is something that can happen to anyone including me. I however think it has more to do with the lack of not following simple safety rules in order to do anything to kill a turkey than it does someone using a decoy or fanning in order to kill a turkey. I also do not understand why we call hunting shootings accidents. They are not. Someone pointed a deadly weapon at an object with the intent of killing it but didn't even take the time to properly identify their target or background. Maybe it is my training as a former police officer and having to decide under many live training drills when to shoot and when not. And this is with targets that are human forms some a threat others not. Not a deer or turkey. I don't get it and I never will. I have killed many turkeys in the field and none of them even remotely resembled a hunter also I have had my decoys stalked once by a guy carrying a fan in front of him. I don't know how I could have identified him as anything other than a human carrying a turkey fan.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion