My Quest Failure in Nebraska

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
misoiltester

My Quest Failure in Nebraska

Postby misoiltester » May 10th, 2014, 8:50 am

I had a great time in Chadron, NE this last week, but failed miserably on my quest for 3- 3 yr old toms.
Day 1 had us with 30+ turkeys roosted and flying down right in front of me, layed out, peeking over the berm of a creek bank, with my decoy out in front of me. Naturally the "big ole' toms", stayed in back as the hens came 1st, followed by the 2 yr old toms. The 4 hens spotted me and it was "heads up" .. so do I wait for the puttin' to start or take the closest tom. No brainer, shoot ;)
16 1/2 #, 7" beard and 7/16" and 3/8 " spurs. End of that hunt.

That afternoon we found a tom with 2 hens that somwhow got seperated from a another big flock we had watched the night before. We were able to get within 200 yds on the opposite side of a pasture/hay field hill, and call him away from the hens comming around the hill, and he came into the decoy in full strut all the way!! Not a 3 yr old, but way to "picture perfect", to pass up on shooting!! :lol:
18.2#, 8" beard, 13/16" & 3/4" spurs.

Morning 2 found us set up again on a 30+ roosted flock, that flew down right in front of me, just over a rise in the ridge, and me seeing only the fanned tail of a monster. He finally cleared the hill and at 23 yds., I just plain missed :twisted: It was 5:30 am and still quite dark, but no excuses, cause the next shot wasn't to be, as the gun had hung up. Too late, hunt over :roll:
We had them come back that evening headed to the same roost tree in the creek area, but the monster was about 65 yds out and a couple of 2 yr olds were 45 yrds, but I let them pass. Naturally, the next morning, day 3, they all flew the other way with no way to get around on them.

All this time, rain was pedicted after day 1, but kept getting moved back a day, so that helped me make the decision to not take the bird the 2nd. night.
We happen to see a flock of 20+ w/2 strutters in an open field, and called this 2 yr old away from the flock. I decided to cut my losses, and not take a chance of not getting the flock in front of me, so I took and easy shot, and tagged out. :lol:
18.8#, 9" beard and no spurs.

Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Gopherlongbeards

Re: My Quest Failure in Nebraska

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 10th, 2014, 11:05 am

Nice looking bunch of birds! Sounds like a fun couple of days for sure, no lack of action.

maineute

Postby maineute » May 10th, 2014, 7:59 pm

I would love to "fail" like that :D Hardly failing. Looks like you were rather successful. Nice Birds!

RussM311

Postby RussM311 » May 10th, 2014, 8:39 pm

I have never asked a turkey for proof of age before pulling the trigger. Depending on which state I am hunting at the time determines what is a legal bird... have never seen a certain age...LOL. I can understand the desire to shoot three mature, wizened, trophy birds.... and maybe someday I will be that selective. But not yet! :-) I get so darned excited just seeing a bird that I have to take deep breaths just to let me make sure he is legal.

All that said.... great hunt... next year I will go with you and alleviate your anxieties about shooting younger birds by shooting them for you. :-) Congratulations and best of luck in your future hunts.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » May 11th, 2014, 6:03 am

RussM311 wrote:I have never asked a turkey for proof of age before pulling the trigger. Depending on which state I am hunting at the time determines what is a legal bird... have never seen a certain age...LOL. I can understand the desire to shoot three mature, wizened, trophy birds.... and maybe someday I will be that selective. But not yet! :-) I get so darned excited just seeing a bird that I have to take deep breaths just to let me make sure he is legal.

All that said.... great hunt... next year I will go with you and alleviate your anxieties about shooting younger birds by shooting them for you. :-) Congratulations and best of luck in your future hunts.

I hope to head back in 2016, as I'm headed to Mexico for a couple of Goulds next spring. You're more than welcome to join in, as I'll plan the 3rd weekend in May, in hopes the hens are nesting and not flocked up yet. That being said, I C the weather turned worse out there, with lows in the 30's now and snow still predicted the next few days. What a scewey spring all over the U.S.!! :o
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 11th, 2014, 8:43 am

Congratulations on your "failure". If I see full fan and he's in range, I'm getting ready to shoot. I may hold off if a bigger bird is approaching, but otherwise, I'm dropping the hammer.

It sounds like you had some really good hunts. Congratulations. Good luck on your Gould's hunt.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 11th, 2014, 10:03 am

Congrats on your three whitetails, beautiful birds and sounds like a great hunt.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

RussM311

Postby RussM311 » May 11th, 2014, 3:26 pm

I am sure you will enjoy chasing Goulds in Mexico.... that should be a great trip. As for 2016.... don't be surprised to see my motorhome following you down the interstate... :-). I have hunted Nebraska before, but it was for upland birds and we were over in the Sandhills on Abbott Farms. Beautiful country.... has lots of birds.... but never had an invite for turkeys. I did hunt northwestern Oklahoma last year and had a terrific hunt on public land. My hunting partner retires this summer, and I have a feeling that the motorhome is going to get a workout next spring. :-)

If ever interested in some Louisiana or Mississippi Easterns... give a shout.... we don't miss many of the open days.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 11th, 2014, 8:20 pm

For me a "full fan" means gobbler down. Good story and nice pics. Congrats
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » May 12th, 2014, 8:25 am

Congrats on a great trifecta! I've been invited to Nebraska for next spring and hope to have as much success as you on your trip! Great job!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion