One to go

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

One to go

Postby Cut N Run » May 5th, 2014, 4:08 pm

I got the gobbler on Friday at the small horse farm. I was set up in the exact same spot that I killed the closing day gobbler from last year. I'm pretty sure this was the same bird that gave me a courtesy gobble the weekend before as he was being towed away by a hen. He was roosted 250-300 yards away between the ridge and the swamp and started gobbling at 5:50 AM. He gobbled about 15 times before he flew down. A series of cutts on the long box turned him away from the swamp, uphill towards the ridge. He hung up for a little while at the cleared flat below the pine thicket ~125 yards from me, probably a strut zone. I tossed a few clucks uphill away from him with a diaphram to make it sound like the hen was going away and it forced him to come looking uphill. He stepped into a shooting lane I cut last winter at 29 yards and caught a load of Hevi #7s @ 6:20 AM. Finally got one that wasn't following hens.

He weighed 19 pounds 10 ounces, 10 inch beard, 7/8ths inch spurs. I'm guessing he was 2 years old. As I was taking pictures of this one, a hen walked right past me and broke into a run when she saw me, then another bird gobbled a few hundred yards away on the next property. I'll likely try him in the morning.

Jim
Attachments
5-2-14. Horse Farm.jpg
5-2-14. Horse Farm.jpg (324.75 KiB) Viewed 174 times
Luck Counts, good or bad

maineute

Re: One to go

Postby maineute » May 5th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Nice bird, Good job!

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 5th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Good bird and interesting recap of the hunt
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 5th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Congrats on your bird Jim :D .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion