Perfect afternoon

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
RussM311

Perfect afternoon

Postby RussM311 » April 24th, 2014, 7:43 pm

I decided to sleep in on the first day of my week long hunt in Mississippi, I was just too tired from traveling. Left my daughter's house at 930 am for a short ride to the management area where I like to hunt. At the check-in station, a real nice gentleman asked for some directions since he was new to the area.... of course that led to an hour long turkey hunting conversation before I remembered that I was supposed to be hunting and not gabbing. I offered the new guy some help in finding a place to hunt for the afternoon and had him follow me to my favorite spot in the wma. After a short discussion on the terrain and where birds were normally located, I headed out in the opposite direction. About a half mile down the road I spotted the old logging road that I have come to favor for my afternoon hunts. 200-250 yards into the forest, I settled down next to a big pine looking into a creek bottom that flows north to south. As noon slips by, I slip a moonpie out of the vest and have a snack.... man needs energy for this turkey hunting. At 1245, I finally hear a gobble a little south along the creek, but he sounds like he is across the water....not good. When he gobbles again, he sounds closer and on this side of the creek.... then a few minutes later he gobbles back across the creek. Hmmmmm maybe I have two gobblers over there... one on each side of the water. Back and forth, both birds were hot to answer my softest calls... cluck... gobble.... purr... gobble... and on it went for about 2 hours before I finally saw them. Now both birds are on my side of the creek and searching for the hen that keeps whispering sweet nothings. As they step out of the thickets, the lead bird hops up onto a log that a bird I shot twp years earlier had hopped up on just before the shot. After spotting the hen decoy I had set out, the lead bird jumps off the log and goes into a strut.... the trailing bird gobbles and the race is on. First bird in is a winner.... 11.25 in beard with 7/8 spurs and 22 lbs.... Time is 3 pm when I look at watch..... 2 hours and 15 minutes of wonderful turkey hunting!!!! Gotta love those afternoon hunts. Yes... afternoon hunting is different... but it can be very productive. I have now taken 3 birds in the last 3 years along the same creek... all between 215 and 3 pm. This was the first hunt where the birds were gobbling in the afternoon.... previous birds have been clucking or yelping as they came in.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Perfect afternoon

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 24th, 2014, 8:17 pm

Congrats on a nice bird! I agree on the effectiveness of afternoon hunts. My hunting circle has probably killed around 50% of our birds in the afternoon over the past 4-5 years.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 24th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Congrats on your bird. I've never killed a bird passed noon, 11:59 to be exact. The areas I hunt don't hold many birds in the afternoon, although they should, that's when I do most of my scouting for an area and see birds while scouting, but when I hunt those areas birds never show up. You would think after 29 years of hunting these things, at leased one would of showed up? Maybe this year?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » April 26th, 2014, 1:06 pm

love the afternoon hunts. i like to walk and call. finnally got to post.
Clyde

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 26th, 2014, 2:31 pm

Congrats on a good bird, Ross. The only bird I have gotten this year was a afternoon bird. Now that I think of it the three birds I got last year was all in the afternoon.

maineute

Postby maineute » April 26th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Great story, I will be hunting for my first time ever after 12, they changed the law. Glad to see that it can happen. Congratulations!

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » April 27th, 2014, 10:06 am

If you get him to answer most of the time he is workable.i like to walk and call.
Clyde

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 27th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Congratulations on your successful hunt. I believe the turkey gods were smiling on you for helping a fellow hunter. Way to go.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » April 28th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Congrats and a great story, to hear you got' er' done, again this year!! ;)

I prefer, 1st morning light toms, but over the years and travels, I've sure had some great experiences on afternoon hunts, even in states now, that never used to have p.m. hunting :D
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

dewey

Postby dewey » April 28th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Congratulations on the gobbler. I too have harvested quite a few gobblers and have had numerous opportunities in the afternoon.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion