Best plan of attack?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Sportdog7

Best plan of attack?

Postby Sportdog7 » April 17th, 2014, 9:45 pm

After a very sever winter here in N.E. Wisc. "Lots of snow and sub zero weather" I observed 2 toms this eve, first I've been able to observe this spring. They roosted across the road from where I have permission to hunt. I can set up so that I'm less than 200yds from the roost any suggestions on what type of calls I should concentrate on and just how early should I begin calling. I have a hen and jake decoy should I place both or just use the hen. I'll be hitting this woods/field in the morning. I do have a blind I could set up . But I also have camo netting and a chair that work well to conceal my location.

Uncle Nicky2

799KH

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » April 18th, 2014, 6:28 pm

I would start calling softly with a slate call as soon as the tweety birds start calling..about 45 minutes before sunrise. Just call softly, a few putts & chirps, just enough to let the gobblers know you are there. After the first couple gobbles, stop calling until flydown. I'd try imitating the hens once they hit the ground (if any are nearby); if not, use any hen call you have that sounds good, just call sparingly.

I wouldn't use the decoys in the woods, better to let the gobbler come looking for you. They might work in an open field. Hard to say if a jake, hen, or both would work better, flip a coin?

Sportdog7

Re: Best plan of attack?

Postby Sportdog7 » April 18th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I'll be trying this in the morning...Thanks

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Best plan of attack?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 18th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Being that your in the northern part of the state, in the colder area, I'm guessing those birds are just starting to bust up and the hens aren't an important part of the gobblers main interest just yet. Use some hen talk, but keep it light, a few yelps, clucks, purrs, and keep it fairly soft. Also give them some gobbler talk, loud raspy yelps, putts, keekees. Mix it up between hen and gobbler talk, that should get their attention.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion