Afternoon hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
maineute

Afternoon hunting

Postby maineute » April 11th, 2014, 10:14 am

The state of Maine made some major changes to their turkey huinting laws before the fall season and one of them is that in the spring you can now hunt from a half an hour before sunrise to a half hour after sunset. Before in the spring you could only hunt till 1200. I have hunted in the fall all day all along. My question is what is different in hunting in the afternoon? I know a lot of you guys can hunt all day. I am guessing that I wont be able to sit and call, it will be a lot more walk and call and then put a stalk on the turkeys?

kygobbler

Re: Afternoon hunting

Postby kygobbler » April 11th, 2014, 8:49 pm

To me, afternoon hunting is completely different than hunting in the morning. Its more like deer hunting starting off. Get in a place where you know the turkeys want to be. Don't be afraid of calling every now and then. I have had several afternoon hunts start out like deer hunting but turn into run and gun. Patience is a very big tool on afternoon hunts.

I have had great success in the afternoons and seems like I have gotten bigger birds in the afternoon than in the morning.
Is it turkey season yet?

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » April 12th, 2014, 3:59 pm

I like afternoon hunting if its not to hot. can set up and call or run and gun.
Clyde

maineute

Postby maineute » April 15th, 2014, 5:29 am

Thanks guys, just what I thought.

maineute

Postby maineute » April 15th, 2014, 5:31 am

Hey! I actually had a post go through, I have been trying to say thank you for days and kept getting redirected to my profile page, no wonder why there is nobody using this forum.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 17th, 2014, 12:13 pm

I like covering ground in the afternoon. In my experience, If you get a response during the afternoon that bird is much more likely to come in than one that gobbles during the morning. In short: morning hunts = more gobbling, but way more "courtesy" gobbles. Afternoons: less gobbling but when they do they mean business. I've probably killed about half of my birds in the afternoon.

RussM311

Postby RussM311 » April 24th, 2014, 7:58 pm

I guess I am a lazy afternoon hunter... or just a lazy hunter.... hmmmm. But... I try to go to travel areas where I expect birds will cross... especially a low water crossing for a creek or swamp. I get set up by noon and just settle in for the wait. I listen very carefully.... I call sparingly and quietly.... basically clucks, purrs and a few yelps. I rarely get a gobble as a reply... more likely I will hear clucks or a deep yelp as a reply. These birds are looking for the hens that left them this morning and are pretty eager to find a new gal.... They are also starting to ease towards their favorite roost area, but it is still early, so they will not quite be at their roosts. I usually head out about 4 pm.... my backside is sore and I want to let the birds head to roost in a calm comfortable manner... tomorrow is another adventure waiting to happen.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 27th, 2014, 7:03 am

I started hunting turkeys when it wasn't legal to hunt past noon and never took the time to focus on afternoon hunting. Then, the law changed where afternoon hunting was legal. A few years ago, after much encouragement from members on this board, I really started trying to concentrate on tagging a mature gobbler in the afternoon. So far, it just ain't happening for me. I'm really not sure what the deal is, but I have never even had a mature gobbler in range (that I know of) past noon. I almost get run over by jakes and have had plenty of curious hens come close to check me out, but no longbeards have come in at all. Patience is not much of an issue for me, because I can't move around as quickly as I once did and was forced to adapt to more of a waiting game on my turkey hunts. I have learned to sit tight, be as still as possible, and wait a stubborn gobbler out, but my lack of success past noon has become more than trying. I feel like the law of averages will eventually catch up and I'll get to notch a tag in the afternoon. I'm certainly not going to give up anytime soon either. I just need the breaks to go my way one of these days. Once the temperatures climb it gets harder and harder for me to maintain focus as I wait for something positive to happen.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » April 27th, 2014, 10:01 am

Jim, don't give up on the afternoon hunts.don't have to be afternoon. I like it after 10. If you can get one to answer most of the time he is workable.
Clyde

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 27th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Oh, I'll keep hunting as long as there's a turkey season left and I've got tags left to spend. Probably six of my top 10 all time gobblers have come after 10 A.M., just all none have come after noon. My afternoon hunts ended up just being nice days spent in the woods...so far.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion