The Greatest Show in Earth

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
RussM311

The Greatest Show in Earth

Postby RussM311 » April 3rd, 2014, 9:43 pm

Morning had just arrived when the bird I was hunting cut loose with a thunderous gobble just 100 yards in front of me. This apparently was the signal the local hens were waiting for, as the trees suddenly exploded with hens flying down. All was going as expected... I should have known something was about to happen. Yep.... all the turkeys started walking directly away from me... and last I heard... they may still be walking.....away. Well... darn! Fifteen minutes later, my mind realized there was a big round ball out in the woods about 60 yards away. The ball spun around and there was the big white head of a strutting gobbler. The bird strutted behind a big tree... and about 3 seconds later a strutting tom stepped out about 20 yards to the side of where the bird had been.. that is one real fast turkey. Oooops... no... there is the first one again. Now I had two strutting toms at about 60 yards. The second tom started acting "funny" and it took me a bit to realize that he was breeding a hen that I had not seen before. Once finished, she stood up... shook off and beat feet out of the area.... cluck... cluck... cluck... Oddly the toms turned around and went the opposite direction... still strutting. They strutted out of sight... nice show... but nothing for my freezer. Suddenly a gobble came from the direction the two toms had disappeared and I thought it was time to get serious. My calls were answered enthusiastically... but the bird was skirting across at about 100 yards. Suddenly a hen came straight towards my decoy and smacked her on the head. She was a bit confused by the lack of a response... but... stayed in the area with the decoy. Movement out front was the two toms strutting back into view. This time, they were semi following the hen and slipped in a bit too close. The hen started giving some clucks that sound like she was saying "lrrrp" "lrrp". The toms turned and started to strut away from the hen ( and me). Well... the show was nice... but.... first bird to stick his head up is the winner!!!! 30 yards.... 19.5 lbs.... 10 in double beard with 1 inch spurs.... I had to sit for a while!! I was wore out!! LOL What a great day! What a great show! What a wonderful bird the wild turkey is!!!! Best Show on Earth and I had a ringside seat!! I hope everyone gets to experience the same and better!

dewey

Re: The Greatest Show in Earth

Postby dewey » April 3rd, 2014, 10:21 pm

Thanks for sharing the story and congratulations on a fine gobbler. Sounds like a very exciting morning hunt.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » April 4th, 2014, 7:22 am

Congrats on a memorible hunt!! :D

"Good things, do come to those who wait", don't they ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

maineute

Postby maineute » April 4th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Great story, this is why I come by every day. Congratulations

RussM311

Postby RussM311 » April 4th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Thanks guys... this really was a very special day in the woods. The funny part is that we had been chased out of our hunting area the day before by the forestry department so that they could conduct a controlled burn. So we had moved across the road for the days hunt.... seems to have worked out just fine for me. And, the forestry office asked us to stop by for a visit so they could apologize for interrupting our hunt and gave each of us a real pretty custom box call. Not a bad hunt at all. :-)

dewey

Postby dewey » April 5th, 2014, 1:31 pm

RussM311 wrote:Thanks guys... this really was a very special day in the woods. The funny part is that we had been chased out of our hunting area the day before by the forestry department so that they could conduct a controlled burn. So we had moved across the road for the days hunt.... seems to have worked out just fine for me. And, the forestry office asked us to stop by for a visit so they could apologize for interrupting our hunt and gave each of us a real pretty custom box call. Not a bad hunt at all. :-)

Sounds like some really great forestry folks. Awfully nice of them to apologize but then to give a nice box call is very impressive.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 5th, 2014, 2:18 pm

Great hunt story, thanks for sharing. Congratulations on the gobbler
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 6th, 2014, 6:21 am

Thanks for for sharing your story Russ. Congrats on the tom....wayne

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion