Mission Impossible???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Re: Mission Impossible???

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » February 4th, 2014, 9:01 am

Thanks @ kygobbler good luck to you this spring! Thanks hawg! @ ads1 Thanks! I'm looking forward to beginning this challenge. Where are you located in Illinois??

ads1

Postby ads1 » February 4th, 2014, 3:38 pm

I am in Lawrence County. No problem getting tags in the fall. I could help you with a place during that time of year. Spring is when we are farming and my schedule is not very flexible. I hunt when I can. There were still 60 to 80 permits after the first lottery for three of four seasons for Spring season.. Second season has the lowest number of permits after the first lottery, maybe 28 to 30.

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » February 4th, 2014, 4:16 pm

@ ads1 I actually just talked to a good friend of mine who used to work for NRCS in Lawrence County. We have discussed doing a spring hunt there next spring! If I am unsuccessful then I may have to take you up on your offer in the fall!! Thanks for the help!! Good luck to you this spring :D

ads1

Postby ads1 » February 4th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Send me a PM of what part of county you are planning on hunting. It might be in Lukin Township where I hunt. I can help you with a scouting report. Terry :D

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » March 14th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Well I ended up with 3 permits. I will be hunting in Pope County in the Shawnee National Forest 2nd season. Then I'll be hunting private land in Morgan County for 3rd season and Scott County for 4th season. Hoping to cross 2 more counties off my list (already harvested many birds in Pope Co). Happy hunting and good luck to everyone in this forum!

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » May 5th, 2014, 10:31 am

Well folks, my spring turkey season has come to an end so I thought I'd update everyone on the progress of my overall goal. After a very tough 2nd season in Pope county, I was able to find success during the 3rd and 4th seasons in Morgan and Scott Counties. I am happy to say that I scored longbeards in both Morgan and Scott counties! The Morgan County bird was 20.4 lbs, and had a 9.5 inch beard and 7/8 spurs, and was harvested on April 29. The longbeard I harvested in Scott County was the largest bird I've ever harvested at 24.0 lbs with an 11 inch beard and 1.25 inch spurs, harvested on May 3! So I was able to cross a couple counties off my list! I tried to enter the team contest this year but didn't happen to make a team. I am going to attempt to upload a couple of pictures ( as I've never done this before) in hopes of sharing them with you all. Hope everyone had a great turkey season and good luck to those with tags left!

Matt
Attachments
MorganCo_longbeard.JPG
MorganCo_longbeard.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 114 times

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » May 5th, 2014, 10:38 am

Here is the photo of my Scott County longbeard.

Matt
Attachments
ScottCo_Longbeard.JPG
ScottCo_Longbeard.JPG (499.3 KiB) Viewed 114 times

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 7th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Congrats to a great season and getting closer to your goal. I redid the size of your first photo so it could be eaiser to see.

MorganCo_longbeard.JPG
MorganCo_longbeard.JPG (213.85 KiB) Viewed 100 times

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » May 8th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Thanks kygobbler. It was a pretty great season indeed. Also thanks for making the pic easier for everyone to view. I hope your season went as well as mine.

Matt

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 9th, 2014, 4:14 pm

I had the same goal as Charlie Elk. However, age and health won't let me accomplish it. I'll still try to get as many as the Lord will give an old man with questionable knees. Hope you have an understanding wife or girlfriend! LOL
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion