Mission Impossible???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Re: Mission Impossible???

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » January 29th, 2014, 2:08 pm

@ Olgobbler, I greatly would appreciate any help I can get. Do you know the public hunting land areas in the counties you mentioned really well? So far, I have a friend that will allow me to hunt some private land in Brown, along with a potential hook-up in Peoria Co as well. I'd take any advice/help on Cass, Knox, and Mason counties though! Thanks!

dewey

Postby dewey » January 29th, 2014, 3:40 pm

I think that sounds like a great goal and a fabulous way to see all parts of Illinois!

My goal is to harvest a turkey in every state that has a turkey population for the US Slam (49 states except Alaska). Anyway I have created an excel spreadsheet that lists all of the states I have harvested a turkey in but also has people that I know in those states that I could lean on for information and where I know them from. I have also created a word document that has advice, articles or other information I have come across and I sort that by state so when I go to hunt a new state I can start there. I am fully aware that I am a spreadsheet dork but it helps me keep my information organized :lol:

The spreadsheet and word document idea could help you keep things organized and assist in planning.

Good luck on your goal and keep us posted on how it is going.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ol gobbler

Postby ol gobbler » January 29th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Ya I know it well. If you have private in Brown,Adams also has the public land I know. I've been into birds there but haven't killed.Brown and Adams would be a good combo for Spring or Fall. Peoria would be on my Spring only list. Not a real strong population.Same with Knox. It is a good county but a Spring only on the Public.Private would be good in the fall.Not sure if you can fall gun it. Cass and Mason,Spring or Fall, bow or gun on public no problem.

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » January 29th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Thanks dewey. Your goal sounds like an awesome idea and good way to see the entire country! I have created a paper folder with all the public hunting area maps in all the counties and a list of every county, with potential private land hook-ups with names. I look forward to the challenge and will definitely keep you updated on the progress made. @ Olgobbler, once again I appreciate the information and may look to contact you when the day comes to hunt public land in those counties. Good luck to all you posters this spring! Matt

retranger

Postby retranger » January 29th, 2014, 8:37 pm

charlie elk wrote: I've learned there is so much more to a hunt than just the kill.

charlie elk wrote:some of my best most memorable hunts did not result in a kill.

Well said charlie ,,,,, no need to add to that

ILTurkeyHuntinFool you are well on you way and 35 is just a baby :lol: :lol: Good luck to you and keep us posted. I hope I see you achieve your goal :) :)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » January 29th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Thanks retranger! :D I will definitely keep you posted and I wish you luck this spring! It sure can't come fast enough as I'm getting cabin fever bad! :shock:

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » January 31st, 2014, 10:21 am

I have to admit, I am pleasantly shocked by some of the positive responses I've seen so far from different posters :) . I figured there would be more people saying that I'm crazy for even trying to attempt such a feat! I do recognize that it will take a lot of time/dedication to even come close to achieving such a goal, but as I've said before I'm up to the challenge and it will be a whole lot of fun along the way no matter what happens! On another note, I'm certainly not looking forward to this big snow storm heading for central Illinois in the next few days :o . Spring needs to get here fast!!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 2nd, 2014, 9:06 pm

If you don't set crazy goals then what's the since of setting them. :lol: Good luck on your quest.

As far as the snow storm I have been watching that all day. This morning they said 1-3", this afternoon they said 2-4", and just a few minutes ago 3-6". So far it has stayed just north of me and I hope it stays that way. Who ever is getting that snow I hope your home and safe. If your traveling through it I wish you safe travel.

hawglips

Postby hawglips » February 3rd, 2014, 6:12 am

ILTurkeyHuntinFool wrote:Hawg, I am 35 years old. I think that's still considered a young man ;). @Retranger, In Illinois you can take 3 birds in the spring and 3 in the fall if you are lucky enough to draw the tags. I realize it's gonna be very tough to do but I enjoy challenges haha!

Sounds like a great goal to aim for! Good luck getting it done.

ads1

Postby ads1 » February 3rd, 2014, 9:09 am

Good luck on your challenge. Illinois has lots of birds!

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion