Mission Impossible???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Mission Impossible???

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » January 28th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Hi guys, I just wanted to see what others thought of my new "lifetime" goal I have set for myself as a turkey hunter. I live in East Central Illinois. I was sitting around on one of these cold winter nights thinking about turkey hunting and something popped into my head. I came up with a crazy idea of wanting to try to harvest a turkey in every county in my home state of Illinois that is open to turkey hunting. I started turkey hunting about 12 years ago with some family members who take a trip to southern IL every spring and fall to turkey hunt. I fell in love from day 1. Up until this past year I only went on these hunting trips. Last year I decided to get a second permit for the first time ever and hunt close to home. I was able to harvest a nice gobbler this spring. So far I have harvested birds in only 2 of the open 100 counties. I'm now looking forward to the challenge of hitting up every county I possibly can to try to harvest a bird. I realize this will be a tremendous challenge but I think it will be fun trying! :D Looking forward to crossing off a few counties in 2014 as I strive toward this lofty goal!! So do you guys think I'm crazy or does anyone think this may be doable??? All comments are welcome :mrgreen: Fire away!

Matt

hawglips

Re: Mission Impossible???

Postby hawglips » January 29th, 2014, 5:44 am

I hope you're a young man!

retranger

Postby retranger » January 29th, 2014, 8:35 am

Is it legally doable?? Guess if you can take two or more birds a year and you are young enough ,,,,,,,, go for it. Something like that would mean more to me than one of the "grand slams" :) :)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 29th, 2014, 8:36 am

Might be hard to get permission in some areas. What about cook county?
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » January 29th, 2014, 9:03 am

Hawg, I am 35 years old. I think that's still considered a young man ;). @Retranger, In Illinois you can take 3 birds in the spring and 3 in the fall if you are lucky enough to draw the tags. I realize it's gonna be very tough to do but I enjoy challenges haha! @ Treerooster, you are correct on getting permission in some areas. It definitely won't be easy. Luckily, there are lots of public hunting areas in a majority of the counties in the state which I would have to hunt. Currently Cook and DuPage counties are the only 2 counties in IL not open to turkey hunting, so I don't have to worry about Cook Co. at this point. Thanks for the replies!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 29th, 2014, 9:41 am

Goals are good. Hmm, you got me thinking about doing that here in WI. I've hunted all the WI units but not all the counties inside the units. My problem would be the number of years I may or may not have left.

Years ago I set a goal of hunting something in all 50 states, doesn't matter the species or whether or not I kill something; just to hunt. I have 11 left. This has been the best goal I ever set for myself.

Perhaps on your goal you might want to modify it a bit. Just hunt turkeys in each county rather than killing one in each. As a one who has hunted for more than half a century I've learned there is so much more to a hunt than just the kill. Don't misunderstand, I still like to kill turkeys or whatever I'm after, but some of my best most memorable hunts did not result in a kill. So why not count those as a hunts to your goal?

It's all good, enjoy your hunts and stay focused to achieve them.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » January 29th, 2014, 10:08 am

I agree Charlie, goals are a good thing. I will take your suggestion and set it as a secondary goal :D If I am unable to harvest birds in some of the counties I won't be upset at all as long as I gave it a valiant effort. Good luck in WI with whatever new goals you set!!

ol gobbler

Postby ol gobbler » January 29th, 2014, 10:48 am

You can only kill 2 birds in the fall with a gun in IL. But you could bow hunt in the fall and get 2 more for a total of 4 in the fall. I think your idea is a good one and you should do it. Not all counties are open in the fall for gun hunting but all are open to archery.

ILTurkeyHuntinFool

Postby ILTurkeyHuntinFool » January 29th, 2014, 11:13 am

Thanks ol gobbler. I realized you could only harvest 2 with a gun in the fall. I buy an archery tag every year but have not been successful with a bow...mostly because I have one while bowhunting for deer just in case... Thanks for clearing it up as I was confused by the information page as it never really said what the fall bag limit was...only that you couldn't apply for or purchase more than 2 of each gun/archery tags. 4 fall birds gives me an even better chance. I will just have to hit the woods more often with my bow with turkeys specificaly in mind. Actually, not all counties are open to fall archery as my home county of Ford is not, but a majority are. I'm looking forward to spring to start working toward this goal! Been hunting turkeys for about 12 years so far but almost exclusively in the Shawnee National Forest on public land in Pope County. I finally hunted my first private ground in McLean County in spring 2013 and was lucky enough to bag a nice longbeard. Hunting smaller pieces of timber/habitat versus the huge contiguous tracts of the SNFprovided a new way of an approach to hunting turkeys, and I enjoy both. I really liked the different hunting strategies you have to adapt to while hunting large wilderness areas versus the mix of habitat/cropland here in central Illinois.

ol gobbler

Postby ol gobbler » January 29th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Now I learned something.BTW I counted up my counties....5. My buddy has 10. Let me know if you need some help in Brown,Cass,Knox,Mason or Peoria on public land.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion