One tough hen

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Dixie Belle

One tough hen

Postby Dixie Belle » November 9th, 2013, 11:23 am

I got to see one of the neatest things from the deer stand this morning. Out in front of my stand I have about a 12' X 30' "Throw and Grow" food plot. Just after the sun came up this morning I noticed a bunch of hens coming through the woods toward the food plot, so they finally wander and scratch their way into the plot and begin to peck and scratch (by the way, we can't shoot hens in the fall, only gobblers and bearded jakes). I am really enjoying the hens when I hear the tap, tap, tap of a deer coming down the game trail behind me. I now am really frozen still because of the hens in front and a deer coming up from behind, the deer finally materializes under my left shoulder and walks toward the food plot. It's a nice doe. Well gun season just started so I can't shoot her either, so I get ready to watch the doe and the turkeys feed together in the plot. WRONG ! The dominant hen had other ideas. As soon as the doe gets near the plot that hen drops into a "FULL STRUT" wings down, tail spread and giving out with an attitude you wouldn't believe. The doe stops in her tracks and just looks at the hen, the hen continues to strut back and forth in front of the doe daring her to come into the food plot. Finally the doe just turns and walks back into the brush like " I don't have time for this, I can eat somewhere else". As soon as the doe turned and left the hen went back to scratching and pecking around.
I could hardly keep myself from laughing out loud :lol: :lol: . I kind of sat there thinking " I wouldn't want to be on that old gal's bad side"
It was a great morning in the woods , shot or no shot !!!
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Steve_In

Re: One tough hen

Postby Steve_In » November 9th, 2013, 11:30 am

That is what keeps me on the stand on otherwise boring days. :D I have often wondered why owls or hawks just don't grab the crows and blackbirds harassing them for a snack.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » November 9th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Ted, that's one of the times you need a video camera. It sounds like you had a very good morning in the woods.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » November 10th, 2013, 7:32 am

Kinda' neat to hear that one :lol:

I wonder if any tom will even want to court her :shock:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 11th, 2013, 8:27 am

I'm glad you got to see that. Isn't it great to be out and just watch what goes on?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » November 20th, 2013, 10:47 am

Brings new meaning to hen pecked. :D

I'd leave her alone if I was a Tom!!
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

dewey

Postby dewey » November 20th, 2013, 11:00 am

That is pretty dang cool to see. Some people think that going hunting is all about the kill.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » November 20th, 2013, 5:33 pm

great story. I love stand hunting in Georgia you always see plenty of game predators etc.... try it here in Arizona and it's hard to stay awake.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion