Coyote hunting at night.

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Coyote hunting at night.

Postby kygobbler » October 7th, 2013, 10:38 am

KY finally passed it today that you can kill them darn yotes at night. You can only use a shotgun while night hunting. Im thinking of giving it a try this weekend the only bad thing is you can only use a light from Feb 1 to May 31.

Here is a copy of the regulations that the warden sent me.

http://fw.ky.gov/app/news/newsdetail.aspx?id=1351
Is it turkey season yet?

Steve_In

Re: Coyote hunting at night.

Postby Steve_In » October 7th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Unless you have a full moon and snow that would seem like an impossible hunt. Be real tough to identify your target. I did not read the rules but it that on all land or just state land?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 7th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Unfortunately its for all land. They made the availability of light so short because they want to protect the bucks. Since the bucks usually don't have their antlers during this time of year they think it will keep people from poaching them. I thought the state made a smart move by letting the fish and wildlife department make the regulations but I should have known they would make it around the deer. It burns me up that they keep make deer season with a gun longer because it brings in money and do nothing to even think about making Turkey season longer. I just hope next spring while sitting in the woods waiting for the first crack of light to rise up some yahoo doesn't come around shining a spot light every where and make my gobbler fly off the roost.
Is it turkey season yet?

retranger

Postby retranger » October 10th, 2013, 8:47 am

Here in NY you can hunt coyote at night with a light and a RIFLE and it is during regular deer season. :o :o Hunting deer with a light is not looked upon very favorably, seems strange but thats the way it is. :shock: :shock:
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » October 10th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Retranger, that is weird law for sure. What gets me is using a rifle at night. The safety aspect of that situation of shooting and not being able to see what is in the background. Funny how some states say its ok to do one thing and another state doesn't allow it.
Is it turkey season yet?

retranger

Postby retranger » October 18th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Who are we to argue with the WISE MINDS OF GOVERNMENT ;) ;) ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion