Hevi-Duty Home Defense Loads from Environ-Metal #4 Buckshot

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

Hevi-Duty Home Defense Loads from Environ-Metal #4 Buckshot

Postby allaboutshooting » September 5th, 2013, 7:23 am

A load of Hevi-Duty #4 Buckshot The small brown objects are environmentally friendly lentils.

Six or so of those frangible pellets crushed with pliers.

I've not been able to shoot any of these loads yet but thought you might enjoy seeing how they look, before and after.

I just crushed a few of the frangible pellets with some pliers to see how much force it took. There's certainly nothing scientific about this hardness testing method but it certainly demonstrates the frangible nature of the pellets.

It also shows what might happen if those pellets hit a hard object, after a miss, etc. The desire is to have a load with enough energy, knock-down power, to stop an aggressor but not over penetrate and cause damage to an innocent bystander or member of your family.

They really look good so far. Now I need to spend some time at the range and evaluate for accuracy and penetration in a number of different media.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

Re: Hevi-Duty Home Defense Loads from Environ-Metal #4 Bucks

Postby Steve_In » September 5th, 2013, 9:09 am

I knew a guy that went to a demo of frangible handgun rounds. They fired them into concrete and they hardly left a dimple. They did not spray the way lead rounds would do. I would be interested to see if they penetrate 1/2" drywall. They would be useful on airliners too. Looking forward to your report Clark.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 6th, 2013, 7:07 am

Steve_In wrote:I knew a guy that went to a demo of frangible handgun rounds. They fired them into concrete and they hardly left a dimple. They did not spray the way lead rounds would do. I would be interested to see if they penetrate 1/2" drywall. They would be useful on airliners too. Looking forward to your report Clark.

I'll hopefully be able to do that pretty soon.
Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 6th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I'm trying to get all the materials needed for the penetration tests with the Hevi-Duty HD loads.

I have a friend who is building some walls, interior and exterior (non-insulated and insulated) using standard drywall with studs on conventional centers.

I may have discarded most or all of my microcrystalline wax, so I'll need to find some of that. The other materials needed, denim, pine boards, etc. are pretty easily had.

When all is set up, I'll be ready to perform the penetration tests. I have a friend and neighbor, a retired police officer, who has volunteered to do the work if I'm not quite up to it, so we'll see how that goes.

At any rate, I hope to have some additional information soon.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion