how did you take them ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
homunculi

how did you take them ?

Postby homunculi » September 4th, 2013, 10:43 pm

how have you taken your birds ....

me ... shotgun ... crossbow ... and compound bow

i would like to get a traditional bow and try for one ... do not have the extra $$$ for that ...

just wanted to know who has the best take or best story ,,
pic shown is my hen taken last fall from my deer stand ... after the shot she flopped and went down a very steep hill ... but i got her

thanks ..... H
Attachments
turky.JPG
turky.JPG (178.9 KiB) Viewed 366 times

hawglips

Re: how did you take them ?

Postby hawglips » September 16th, 2013, 8:17 am

Just shotgun.

12 ga, 20 ga, 28 ga and .410.
Last edited by hawglips on October 9th, 2013, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » September 16th, 2013, 11:23 am

I by bow, 3 by Xbow, the rest by shotgun except I caught 1 by hand...sort of. :shock: :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ads1

Postby ads1 » September 18th, 2013, 10:06 am

All by shotgun...a Mossberg 835, Benelli Super Vinci, and Remington SPS 870. :D

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » October 7th, 2013, 9:16 pm

All with a shotgun, my trusty Winchester 1300.
Twitter: @edvogler

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 8th, 2013, 9:38 am

I've hunted turkeys with shotguns for several decades but back in the 1980s I decided that I wanted to try turkey hunting with a bow. When I went to a nearby bow shop to see what they had, they had a hard time to keep from laughing when I told them I wanted a bow for turkey hunting.

Most of the employees there were turkey hunters but could not imagine anyone hunting them with a bow. In the end I purchased a very short bow and what I considered to be a maneuverable bow that I thought would work well in the turkey woods.

I practiced with that bow for hours, in various situations I thought from past experience that I might find myself, until I felt proficient enough to take it to the turkey woods.

I was successful...in carrying it in the woods for a couple of seasons but never took a turkey with it. I finally decided that at least in our part of the world, it would work much better for deer and that's what I used it for over the next several years.

I've concentrated on using shotguns for turkeys since that time.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » October 10th, 2013, 4:59 pm

I've taken them with single shot and semi auto shotguns. I have hunted turkeys with crossbow the past couple of years, but passed on a few jakes and had no shooters in range. I got busted a time or two by accompanying hens as well.

Before that when I had undamaged shoulders, I tried hunting with a stick bow with hand made arrows with stone points I knapped with no blind and minimal cover. I came close a few times, but never cut a feather. Mostly, I got busted trying to draw. I had one longbeard walk within 5 feet of me and I had to wait until he got far enough away to draw. He saw me before I moved & was gone. That's probably the most intense turkey hunting there is, but it is also the most difficult. It definitely teaches you what you can and can't get away with.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion