Yakkity Yak...She Talked Back

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Treerooster

Yakkity Yak...She Talked Back

Postby Treerooster » June 4th, 2013, 3:43 pm

I was at the same place in N Wis where I heard the gobbler when I got the double a couple of days earlier. I was early and was just hanging around the truck enjoying a cup of coffee, just sort of lollygagging around. A woodcock was calling for a mate just a few yards from me. As it got closer to gobbling time the woodcock stopped and other birds started to sing. I got my gun and vest out of the truck, laid it on the ground and closed the truck door quietly. I went to the edge of the logging road so I could hear well in both directions and got into the “listening” position.

I stood there a while just enjoying the peaceful morning. Then a gobble rang out so close I ducked as if someone had just fired a round over my head. He was straight west and roosted not far off the road. I figured 200 to 300 yards just down the road. It was an oak forest and no leaves were out. I had to laugh at myself because I went from walking around very relaxed to stealth mode in just a matter of minutes and from the same place. I didn’t want to move much and I set up just 25 yards from the truck!

I faced the logging road with the gobbler to my right as the birds used this road frequently in the morning. As it got lighter I heard more than one gobbler, probably 3 and a jake. Then I heard yelping straight behind me, at least 2 hens. When I heard the hens I went right to calling to them. I used a mouth diaphragm and called a little on my box too. I wanted to get that boss hen to come to me. I tried to get her mad by calling over her and longer than her. It worked. By the time that boss hen was on the ground she was yelping and cutting hard at me and I was giving it right back to her. Neither one of us was giving an inch. Instead of coming to me though she went right to the gobbler, but calling to me all the way.

I kept yelping and cutting at her, and she at me, and finally she broke my way down the old logging road. This took a while as she went from her roost to the gobbler, stayed there a while, and then headed my way. I think we yelped and cutted 150 times EACH before it was all over. That old hen was making such a racket, her calls were echoing off the woods!

To borrow a line (with a little twist) from a Charlie Daniels song;
“I had her out there steppin’ and bitchin’ like her feet were on fire and her feathers were catchin’ “

Oooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeee she was mad!

When she yelped at me from about 40 yards away on the old road I gave her one more series and figured it was time to shut up and concentrate on the gun. I could finally see her at about 30 yards and she walked right in front of where I was sitting. She was only about 7 yards from me and I squinted my eyes for fear she might see them.

After a minute or so the hen moved on and I could see another bird coming down the road…it was her girlfriend. The second hen paused in front of me and shortly moved on towards the first one. Then another bird was coming and this time a beard was swinging in front of it. He strutted for a few seconds, then decided he needed to catch up and started running down the road still all puffed up. He looked like humpty dumpty trying to beat out a bunt. He stopped again to strut at 25 yards and I ended the hunt. It would have been an exciting hunt even without that hen, but the conversation I had with her made it a very special memory.

The above is what really happened…but what I am tellin’ everybody is my new pup (Tag Alder Tangle…call name Tag…a Pudelpointer) pointed and retrieved the bird. :D

As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Yakkity Yak...She Talked Back

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 4th, 2013, 4:11 pm

I love it when those hens fire up, good job . Cool pic of your new huntin buddy. :)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 4th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Another good one. :D Nothing like a pup to boost your feelings, good luck with Tag
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

dewey

Postby dewey » June 4th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Congratulations tree on the gobbler as it sounds like a very exiting hunt.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

maineute

Postby maineute » June 5th, 2013, 1:22 am

Great story! Congratulations. I love it when the hens are vocal, I learn so much.

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » June 5th, 2013, 8:59 am

sounds like a great hunt and thats an awesome story!
almost as much fun workin a hen as a tom. i had an encounter like that this year and between me and the hen raisin heck, called in a tom from a couple hundred yards away. but when he stepped out in the field about 30 yards away i didnt have a clear shot. then the hen went to him and they were gone. :cry:

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 5th, 2013, 1:59 pm

was wondering what happened to you treerooster??? very nice hunt i called in my 1st strut n hen this yr in SD she was mad as all get out when we set up & maid our 1st calls in her hang out she came running over yelp n real loud & angery sounding & cut n hard she fanned up a little bit then ran over to a gobbler & then yelped angery at him to then ran off the way she came??? we assumed she was either sit n on a nest or in the process of laying her eggs & didnt want any other turkeys hang n around her nest area...???

i always end up with hens so close that i have to close my eyes in fear they may peck my eye ball out lol them gobblers are the 1s that hang out there a little bit farther for me...

beautiful little pup you have there i got my new small munsterlander about a yr ago june 7 so she was that size last yr this time!!! got a N/A test on sunday hope she does well??? im sure that little pup will be a hunting machine in no time they are a great breed of dog pudlepointers...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 5th, 2013, 5:14 pm

Gotta love the chatty hens. Good looking pup Tree, you going to give him a shot at turkeys?

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » June 6th, 2013, 1:04 am

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Good looking pup Tree, you going to give him a shot at turkeys?

Maybe.

He will be a bird dog first and foremost and especially a ruffed grouse dog (I hope).

So I may try to train for turkey, but not until he is established on pointing and holding upland birds. Tag will also hunt waterfowl and doves too.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 10th, 2013, 7:55 am

Great couple of stories Gary , was wondering where you been, now I see up to your usual self....congrats on another great season .....
David

You never know, unless you go

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion