A little confusion

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
homunculi

A little confusion

Postby homunculi » May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

We have a new guy in our little hunting circle with me and my friends
And he has yet to kill a bird and still trying to get things right ....
He had an odd look on him when we were talking about our hunts so far this year
I think he was living under a rock because when we made reference to a Tom or jake
He was confused and we tried to explain it to him an adolescent male is called a jake ..
He got his phone out and said no it is called a jack ??
So if anyone can get this clear so I can show him the proper nick names
And to clear the fog he has created in my head would be nice ...
As far as I have known ::
Young males are jake's
Adult males. Tom
Young females Jenny
Adult females Jill ...

He keeps referring to wiki and some other web pages and brings print outs
With this information ... He is a nice guy but, me joe Wayne mark and Jamie are trying to
Help him and get him going the right direction ... He is 41 never owned a gun never hunted
And now is hanging around us ...

Sorry this is from my phone I cannot log in from my computers for some stupid reason
Thanks ....

ylpnfol

Re: A little confusion

Postby ylpnfol » May 6th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I would think you can find what you need to set him straight on the nwtf website.....
David

You never know, unless you go

homunculi

Postby homunculi » May 6th, 2013, 7:17 pm

ylpnfol wrote:I would think you can find what you need to set him straight on the nwtf website.....

scary tho he thinks the NRA is evil along with NWTF ... i should have mentioned he is a union worker ... new to a country/hillbilly area

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 6th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Well point him to this site, he'll have all of us helping him out the right way. Sometime people get things mixed up when they are just starting out and learning things fast and easy, but at least he's trying to learn and that's whats important.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 6th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Better yet, take him hunting and show him the difference. You could also take him to a state park and call up some unhunted turkeys too.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Postby dewey » May 6th, 2013, 10:40 pm

homunculi wrote:
ylpnfol wrote:I would think you can find what you need to set him straight on the nwtf website.....

scary tho he thinks the NRA is evil along with NWTF ... i should have mentioned he is a union worker ... new to a country/hillbilly area

Let me guess the NRA is evil because guns kill people? Kind of like cars are responsible for all car accidents? Like David said point him to the NWTF, T&TH, Field and Stream or any other hunting source for the commonly accepted terminology for turkeys.

Good luck to you and your friends.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

notsure

Postby notsure » May 6th, 2013, 11:33 pm

You and your friends are attempting to deprogram one who has been spoon fed marxist propaganda his entire adult life. Not only is he likely a low-information type that still subscribes to alphabet news, he is a member of a union. I grew up in union country (S.E. OH) and the majority of my family was decidedly pro-union WV coal miners. Have you ever read the monthly publication put out by the AFL-CIO? Sat through a speech by Richard Trumka (current goon presiding over the AFL-CIO)? Ill put it this way...you guys have your work cut out for you!

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 7th, 2013, 7:08 pm

IMO what the hell does being PRO UNION have to do with turkey hunting man??? not a damn thing!!!

im not really pro NRA either they tend to have real bad taste when it comes to making comments write after major gun tragedy's in america... they make comments kinda like the JACK comment your not so know it all new friend maid about young male turkeys...

to be honest i would not give a guy like you describe the time of day!!! you guys are all trying to help him out or teach him a little something about hunting & the life style & all he has to offer in return is NO YOUR WRONG ITS CALLED A JACK!!! & a i know more then you guys mentality? your trying to teach a old dog new tricks it very rarely if ever works out well they have to be open to learn new things other wise they dont want anybody teaching them new things??? met a vietnam vet marine who could not tell the difference between a ruffed & a spruce grouse in was showing him the tail fans being different & he just kept saying only way i can tell is when i breast the bird after its dead & he acted like i insulted him for showing him the difference he was a odd duck anyway but you cant fix stupid lol

ADULT MALE TURKEY= TOM /GOBBLER/LONGBEARD

JUVENILE MALE TURKEY= JAKE/SUPER JAKE "have herd the primos guys call em JACKSON'S'' 99% of turkey hunters call em JAKE's

ADULT FEMALE TURKEY= HEN/JENNY

JUVENILE FEMALE TURKEY= HEN/JENNY

find a few turkey hunting shows on T.V. the internet or on DVD & im 99% sure some pro hunters will refer to some young teenage male turkeys as JAKE'S or even show him some JAKE decoys on the internet & he should be able to see that young male turkeys are called JAKE'S tell him to walk down a hunting stores spring turkey hunting display & they will have labeled JAKE DECOYS 4 sale he will figure out real quick he was talking out of his A** & was wrong... if not hes a lost cause man...

notsure

Postby notsure » May 8th, 2013, 12:04 am

Was it the NRA that exploited the emotions of grieving mothers and fathers just last month in order to push legislation aimed at further hamstringing the constitution? I seem to remember President Zero and colleagues pulling that stunt, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Was it the NRA that compared their opposition to "fighting the NAZI's"? Again, I'm pretty sure that was Bob Schieffer (big lib and noted gun hater) on Face the Nation comparing President Zero's battle with the NRA to our efforts in defeating one of the most vile scourges in recorded history.

You wan't to know why most Americans outside of a few urban cess pools still have the right to bear arms as spelled out in the 2nd Amendment? Because the NRA doesn't bend over. And that's why their membership just eclipsed the 5 million mark as of April, 2013.

And you wan't to take a guess at were most unions stand on this issue, regardless of what their rank and file believes?

And one more thing...The 2nd Amendment was not included in the Bill of Rights to protect hunting rights or even personal protection, although by default it does just that. No, the 2nd Amendment was intended to give the citizens a means to defend themselves against a tyrannical federal government. Something to keep in mind the next time you consider why the NRA does what it does.

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » May 8th, 2013, 5:43 am

Holy cow....is this T & TH, or is this a political debate forum????? :roll:

To the OP- a male turkey that is less than 2 years old is a jake, no matter what part of the country you are from. I applaud your effort to bring new blood into the game, but sounds like your new friend is a tough nut crack. If it were me, I'd politely tell him that he's the student, and you are the teacher, and if he's not happy with that arrangement, he can find new places & guys to hunt with.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion