Black Hills 2013? any ideas for a non-res

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
plentycoupe

Black Hills 2013? any ideas for a non-res

Postby plentycoupe » April 18th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Hey all,

So I've been living up in AK for the past 10 years. I recently moved to ND this past November and was able to pull a ND tag. My partner and I hunted the 13th in knee deep snow. Wow I forgot how fun hunting turkey is!! We managed to call in a nice tom in the morning and in the afternoon I called in a jake for my buddy. Great times!!

So fun I decided to buy a Black Hills tag. I will be headed that way the first weekend in May. Plan to hunt that Friday-Monday. I have never been in the area but have some maps coming from the Forest Service Dep now.

What I am looking for are some ideas of start points. I will be coming in through Spearfish. I will most likely be looking for an area to park and hike into the hills from there. I will have gear to spend two to three days in if I need to. Would like to cover a bunch of land and experience of bit of the Black Hills.

Any info on these birds, what to look for, what areas to spend my time in would be greatly appreciated. This trip I will be making alone.

Thanks for any and all responses.
Jason

plentycoupe

Re: Black Hills 2013? any ideas for a non-res

Postby plentycoupe » April 18th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Oh and forgot to add I will be searching the archives here for the next couple weeks.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 18th, 2013, 5:01 pm

There are quite a few older post laying around about hunting the Black Hills. Hopefully most of their snow will be gone by the time you're out there (I'm only half joking....). There is plenty of public land to roam around on, so the biggest challenge is often simply finding some birds. Being mobile and covering ground is key. Merriams out there will cover a lot of turf in a days time, and may or may not utilize a roost site for more than 1 night. It's not uncommon for us to hike 15-20 miles a day searching for birds. A good loud box call and/or mouth call are your best friends while searching. Keep moving until you locate birds, then slow down. Don't be afraid to set up and cold call in a high percentage area for a few hours if you know birds have been using it recently or are in the area.

One more word of advice. Lots of people like to drive the forest roads and pull the truck over every 1/2 mile. They get out, (sometimes, sometimes they just call out the window) let out some yelps with the truck still running, listen for 15 seconds and then jump back in and drive further down the road. These same people will tell you there are no turkeys around, or they're all henned up with clamps on their beaks... Use you truck as a way to get from area to area, then get out and hike in for 15-20 minutes. Get on a ridge top or out on a point and call. You will strike way more birds this way than by just calling from the road.

plentycoupe

Postby plentycoupe » April 18th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:There are quite a few older post laying around about hunting the Black Hills. Hopefully most of their snow will be gone by the time you're out there (I'm only half joking....). There is plenty of public land to roam around on, so the biggest challenge is often simply finding some birds. Being mobile and covering ground is key. Merriams out there will cover a lot of turf in a days time, and may or may not utilize a roost site for more than 1 night. It's not uncommon for us to hike 15-20 miles a day searching for birds. A good loud box call and/or mouth call are your best friends while searching. Keep moving until you locate birds, then slow down. Don't be afraid to set up and cold call in a high percentage area for a few hours if you know birds have been using it recently or are in the area.

One more word of advice. Lots of people like to drive the forest roads and pull the truck over every 1/2 mile. They get out, (sometimes, sometimes they just call out the window) let out some yelps with the truck still running, listen for 15 seconds and then jump back in and drive further down the road. These same people will tell you there are no turkeys around, or they're all henned up with clamps on their beaks... Use you truck as a way to get from area to area, then get out and hike in for 15-20 minutes. Get on a ridge top or out on a point and call. You will strike way more birds this way than by just calling from the road.

Thanks for the reply GLB. I noticed you are in MN. How are the turkeys where your at? Am thinking about trying to do a couple hunts next spring.

For all else feel free to PM me if you would like to keep your replys under concealment!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion