how many

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
bodetis

how many

Postby bodetis » April 14th, 2013, 7:33 pm

lets say you have 200 acres, 50 of it is yours and the rest meets with other peoples, it seems the tomsroost on my side but after fly down head to the other properties,its all hardwood, but the neighbors are getting all the birds my question is how many toms will be in an area that big, not haten just want a shot at a bird before all the birds are shot lol thanks

kygobbler

Re: how many

Postby kygobbler » April 14th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Thats a tricky question because you could have anywhere from 1 to as many 15 lets say. If they are roosting on property that you can hunt then try to set up between their roost and where they are going. My honey hole is the same way and that is what I do. I have had very good luck on learning on what routes they like to take but as you know turkeys will be turkeys and change their routes just enough to where you don't see them. I know how aggervating it is but if you are persistant and patient you will get one.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 15th, 2013, 6:13 am

^Agree 100%
One of the better places I used to hunt was just over 200 acres and it had 5-9 gobblers roosting around it regularly. Just like kygobbler said, we had to learn favorite travel routes and strut zones to get the chance to tag a gobbler before the left onto other surrounding properties. If you know exactly where the birds are roosting and what direction they leave your property, it might be a good plan of attack to set yourself near the property line facing back towards your land and hunt that way. I'd be willing to bet the neighbors are hunting as close to the roost as they can get, unless they have a strut zone identified. You may need to go in extra early to reduce the possibility of spooking the birds on the roost.

Good luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

bodetis

Postby bodetis » April 16th, 2013, 8:51 pm

thanks guys appreciate it

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 19th, 2013, 7:13 am

Cut N Run wrote:^Agree 100%
You may need to go in extra early to reduce the possibility of spooking the birds on the roost.

Good luck.

Jim

Careful around a roost. You could cause 'em to move off the property all together!!! :roll:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 20th, 2013, 4:41 am

onpoint wrote:
Cut N Run wrote:^Agree 100%
You may need to go in extra early to reduce the possibility of spooking the birds on the roost.

Good luck.

Jim

Careful around a roost. You could cause 'em to move off the property all together!!! :roll:

I would have to disagree somewhat on that. I think it primarly depends on the lay of the land. The birds at my honey hole roost on the same ridge year round. I have shot several birds on their way to or from the roost. There is another ridge only 100 yards away but they stay on the south ridge all the time. knock on wood. :D

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 20th, 2013, 9:40 am

All I know is you're lucky. I've worked birds in TN and KN at flydown from the roost and had them move further down the creek or off a small piece of property entirely. Guess I worked 'em too close to the roost :roll: .
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion