Copper pot calls?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
spitten and drummen

Copper pot calls?

Postby spitten and drummen » April 10th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Just wondering who uses a copper pot call and as for sound how you like them? Would like info on wood type, sound board , strikers ect. Thanks
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

spitten and drummen

Re: Copper pot calls?

Postby spitten and drummen » April 10th, 2013, 4:57 pm

I know somebody on here uses copper.
"don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes boys". Andrew Jackson "old hickory"

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 10th, 2013, 9:26 pm

I have had a copper pot in the past but didn't like it. It was very high pitched and I just didn't like the sound. That said it was a cheap production call. I am sure there are some good ones out there. I am more partial to a good crystal, glass, or aluminim. Good luck with your quest.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 10th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Well I'm gonna try one. Ordered it from Larry gresser. Pink ivory with a mahogany and iron wood strikers. He played it over the phone for me and it had a unique sound but it was a good high pitch that dropped into a nice nasty southern hen rasp.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 11th, 2013, 9:19 am

There were a couple copper pot calls at the Midwest calling and call making championships in Wi Dells this past January. I remember I really liked the sound of one of them, while the others were just ok. I think they are like any other call, there are some good ones and some not so good.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 11th, 2013, 10:50 am

When copper was first introduced for call building, I built a few of them. I found that the smaller size calls had the better sound, the 3" surfaces had that nice higher pitch that rolled over in to that old school raspy sound, that I loved in a call. I carried one a few years and called birds in with it. I quit carring it because it was a pain in the butt to opperate. They seem to be very finicky to surface and only aloud you certain days it would play/sound right. You would think being a metal surface moisture wouldn't effect it, but on the contrary it was very effected. There are a lot of guys out there that sware by them, and a few that sware at them, I was more on the latter side. As far as a metal surface copper is by far the better sounding surface, but they can be very finicky and very touchy to the elements. In a controlled environment they are without a dought one of the best sounding calls out there, but in the field if it's a 50/50 chance that call will play when you need it too, that's not what I want out of a call I'm depending on. There some very good copper call builders out there, that build many different size calls and some great sounding calls. Strikers must be kept very clean as that surface builds up fast on the tips.
Best of luck with your call, I'm hoping you get a good one that performs great for you, they are a very good sounding call.
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on April 11th, 2013, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

shaman

Postby shaman » April 11th, 2013, 1:04 pm

I built a few, and experimented with using copper in a number of ways. I can't say I've had sensational luck with it.

Besides making copper pot calls, I experimented with adding a copper surface to existing calls. Heirloom Turkey Calls used to market a thin copper sheet called "The Copperhead" that you could paste onto a slate or glass surface and add an extra sound to an existing pot call. That worked fine as far as making a different sound, but I cannot say ever had gobblers climbing up my leg over the sound.

Now we come to my other experiment. I was working at the solder factory, so I asked for some samples of copper, aluminum and brass. We were testing our product constantly, so these were readily available. The quality guy got me some chips-- small bits of 1"X 1/8" strip cut to a couple inches in length. These were perfect for what I wanted. I epoxied the chips onto a piece of hardwood, and then tried them out as an augmentation to a box call.

Imagine a 2" piece of metal (copper sounded the best, BTW) roughed up the same way as one treats the surface of a pot call. This is then afixed to a 3" chunk of 3/4" square wood, and then used to stroke the edge of a box call. With a little bit of doing, you can get a nice sound out of it. I held it between my first and third fingers with my index resting on the back of the wood block. Pretty soon, I was able to do all the basic calls with a box call and this . . . thingy.

The results? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying copper is useless. However, I shelved the project about 5 years ago and have not been back to it.

So there you have it: 3 different uses of copper, all field tested without a gobbler to show for it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

spitten and drummen

Postby spitten and drummen » April 11th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Thanks all. I just wanted a different type sound in my vest. The one I ordered from Larry gresser is a 3" pot in pink ivory. He played it over the phone and it sounded very good. Most calls over the phone don't sound the best so I figured it would sound that much better in person

J Hook Max

Postby J Hook Max » April 20th, 2013, 9:54 am

Look up Rocky Top Game Calls in Tennessee. They have a very good copper call. They are not cheap, but it is a very quality call that sounds great. Tell Chris that one of the J Hook boys referred you.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » April 20th, 2013, 9:58 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:When copper was first introduced for call building, I built a few of them. I found that the smaller size calls had the better sound, the 3" surfaces had that nice higher pitch that rolled over in to that old school raspy sound, that I loved in a call. I carried one a few years and called birds in with it. I quit carring it because it was a pain in the butt to opperate. They seem to be very finicky to surface and only aloud you certain days it would play/sound right. You would think being a metal surface moisture wouldn't effect it, but on the contrary it was very effected. There are a lot of guys out there that sware by them, and a few that sware at them, I was more on the latter side. As far as a metal surface copper is by far the better sounding surface, but they can be very finicky and very touchy to the elements. In a controlled environment they are without a dought one of the best sounding calls out there, but in the field if it's a 50/50 chance that call will play when you need it too, that's not what I want out of a call I'm depending on. There some very good copper call builders out there, that build many different size calls and some great sounding calls. Strikers must be kept very clean as that surface builds up fast on the tips.
Best of luck with your call, I'm hoping you get a good one that performs great for you, they are a very good sounding call.

My experience "to a t". The one I have sits in drawer, along with the striker. I hope you have better luck with yours.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion