Need some help Gents, For those that hunt New Mexco

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Tom21inNM

Need some help Gents, For those that hunt New Mexco

Postby Tom21inNM » March 31st, 2013, 10:44 am

I dont expect anyone to give up a Honey hole, (Duh), Just looking for some general advice. We mainly hunt the North end of our beautiful State, but after finally getting up to our 2 good spots yeasterday to scout, (And burrying a Jeep up the frame in Snow in both of them, Were contempleting heading South. The only question for anyone who is willing to give an opinion is do we head for the Gila or the Lincoln Nat. Forest around Cloucroft? Both seem very productive, We just know with the warmer weather both areas we planned to hunt are going to be Mud Holes for at least the first 2 weeks of the season if not Crapola for the entire season if they get another snow storm.
Yeah my names Tom, guess I am a bit of a Turkey myself!

Gobblerman

Re: Need some help Gents, For those that hunt New Mexco

Postby Gobblerman » April 1st, 2013, 11:57 am

Cloudcroft area, hands down! South of the Mescalero Reservation in the LIncoln National Forest, you will find birds just about anywhere there are available water sources. The Gila and Cibola NF's are not bad, ....if you know where the turkeys are already,... but if you are starting cold and trying to find birds to hunt, the Lincoln is the place to go. North of the Mescalero Reservation is also good,...just not as good as south.

Tom21inNM

Postby Tom21inNM » April 1st, 2013, 2:39 pm

That is just what I needed, Its a huge area, and plenty of places to park the trailer! Were planning at least a 4 day trip somewhere for the weekend of the 19th, And would prefer to not be buried in Mud.
Thanks for the input.

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » April 2nd, 2013, 8:58 pm

Tom21inNM wrote: and plenty of places to park the trailer!
???????????

Agree with Gobblerman, but I think you will find instead of being knee deep in mud you will be head deep in other hunters. You will have to look around for a "private" place to park your trailer. The traffic is heavy but thats were there are some birds........

Other suggestion: Cibola National Forest around Mt. Taylor.........anywhere there is open water source......

good luck....

Tom21inNM

Postby Tom21inNM » April 3rd, 2013, 4:52 pm

NMblackgold, I am finding that out even before I get there, Already having trouble getting an RV spot. Mount Taylor's always been of interest to me, I just hadn't been out there yet, and When I read the harvest report, Down South sounded like the area to go, We plan on hiking in very early, 3 or 4 miles to get away from the roads, the downfall may be lack of on the ground time down there. Its either knee deep mud or way more hunters. (Although last year, we seemed to always be surrounded by them anyways, up North)s

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » April 3rd, 2013, 9:54 pm

Tom21inNM wrote:or way more hunters

Tom21NM.........where there are hunters...............there are birds!

Go get em..

BGold

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion