New to Turkey Hunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
chvatalas

New to Turkey Hunting

Postby chvatalas » March 25th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Hello everyone new to the forum and to turkey hunting. Just a little background info. I've been hunting all types of game for 25 years just never really got into turkey hunting until last year. My question is to all of you is on the type of guns you shoot and what choke works best in your opinions and if you even need one. I've asked numerous people if I need a choke on my shotgun and I get about a 50/50 answer to it. I'm a big goose hunter who shoots a Beretta Xtrema2 3.5" shells. When I tell people that's my weapon of choice I get oh ya you still need one and oh no you don't. If you can shoot a goose at 35-45 yards in the air you can shoot a turkey 35-45 yards on the ground. Opinions are very much welcomed. Also considering taking the Hoyt into the blind this years as well. BOL to all your hunting seasons.

misoiltester

Re: New to Turkey Hunting

Postby misoiltester » March 26th, 2013, 7:34 am

I had a buddy that passed on, that shot a Beretta, but don't know what type of a choke he used, so I'm of little help.
Best is to post this on the shooting page ;)
But you can start, by putting your full choke in, and shooting your preferred shell, at targets with turkey heads, at different yardages, to check your pellet density.
I'm sure someone had more better info. than me, on the tube choice :lol:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 26th, 2013, 7:50 am

Welcome to the forum. I think the difference is you are probably using Steel on geese. The chokes will be more open then the average turkey chokes. Geese are stretched out in flight where a turkey has his vitals covered up by wings. Your largest goose will be the size of a small Jake. Not saying it can't be done just they are for a different purpose, turkeychokes/loads produce a small, dense pattern, where the chokes used for goose will be more open. Best way to see is try it out. If it does not work then go with a different choke.
BTW is shoot a Jas Cooper 10 bore ML choked full and fuller :D
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » March 26th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Weicome...I'm not much into gun hunting but I have killed a few birds with my bow. If you arrow a turkey and it gets out of sight don't run after it. Let it go and look for it after about 1 hr. They don't go very far before they lay down. Look carefully,they can hide well. Good Luck

chvatalas

Postby chvatalas » March 26th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Thanks for all the great info guys. I went out today and got the HS Strut UnderTaker xt. Spoke with a guy at cabelas and scheels and this was the recommended one. Going to be curious to see how this patterns up with my full choke.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 27th, 2013, 5:21 am

Even though a 3.5 inch shell packs more pellets, they don't always pattern better than a 3 inch shell, so be open minded when you're trying different loads. My turkey gun can shoot 3.5 inch shells but it likes the 3 inch much better. So does my shoulder.

If you're already good at judging distances at flying birds, make sure you practice judging distance on the ground too. Turkeys have the benefit of ground cover and trees (depending on where you hunt) and they can fool you into misjudging their distance. When you're sitting low to the ground, it messes with your distance perception. I have passed up gobblers I thought were too far, only to find they were in easy range and all the clutter in the foreground made them appear farther away than they actually were. It can also be easy to want to shoot at a gobbler in a field that is too far off because there's nothing to help sort out the distance. If you have the luxury of marking a predetermined maximum distance with a stick, tufts of grass, or anything that will allow you to confirm that bird is within range before you shoot, you'll tag more turkeys and lose fewer birds.

Good luck, be safe, & have fun. Welcome to the journey of becoming a turkey hunter.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion