Jake decoy

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
onpoint

Jake decoy

Postby onpoint » February 27th, 2013, 9:21 am

what do you guys know about the Funky Chicken Jake decoy by Flextone. It's supposed to be less intimidating because of the lack of a body. The head and neck look very realistic but I'm wondering about the "no body" appearance. Guess it works on the same principle as "displaying" a fan without the rest of the gobbler. What do y'all think?
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

ylpnfol

Re: Jake decoy

Postby ylpnfol » February 27th, 2013, 10:25 am

just another gimmick [ cynical, moi ?? ] the industry needs to create new stuff every spring, the flopping primos decoy is another, i'm sure a turkey would come and take a look on occasion, as with any decoy, and they will sell a bunch of them, just not to me.....
David

You never know, unless you go

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 27th, 2013, 11:00 am

Tend to agree with the gimmick angle.

There are promising videos of the FC on Flextone's site and YouTube of gobblers flogging the decoy, but if you put in enough time and take enough footage you can get film of turkeys attacking just about any decoy.

I've used all manner of decoys- hens, jakes, strutters, jake fans...sitting and standing postures, in just about every conceivable combination, with and without calling. Even tried motion devices.

The bottom line is always the same. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 27th, 2013, 11:39 am

I've been looking at them for a late season decoy, when the woods gets a good under growth or in a hayfield when the hay is gettinng high enough to hide most of a birds body. I don't like it for an open woods or a field road decoy because of the stance it has. The straight up stretched neck pose is a bird on alert of something dangerous, but in high grass or behind a log that it's trying to see over, it might work ok. Although if a decoy is half hidden they wouldn't see it unless they are close, so it kind of goes against what a decoy is used for, if it has the wrong stance or has to be half hidden to work, then what do you need it for? The only place I could see it working is in an open hayfield with high enough hay so just the head was sticking above the hay to look around, but if you don't hunt hayfields or high grass where it would stick out it wouldn't be much good?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 27th, 2013, 12:45 pm

This decoy is no new concept and has worked for years.. I think everyone including Flextone is oblivious as to why it works. ;)

onpoint

Postby onpoint » February 27th, 2013, 8:55 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:I've been looking at them for a late season decoy, when the woods gets a good under growth or in a hayfield when the hay is gettinng high enough to hide most of a birds body. I don't like it for an open woods or a field road decoy because of the stance it has. The straight up stretched neck pose is a bird on alert of something dangerous, but in high grass or behind a log that it's trying to see over, it might work ok. Although if a decoy is half hidden they wouldn't see it unless they are close, so it kind of goes against what a decoy is used for, if it has the wrong stance or has to be half hidden to work, then what do you need it for? The only place I could see it working is in an open hayfield with high enough hay so just the head was sticking above the hay to look around, but if you don't hunt hayfields or high grass where it would stick out it wouldn't be much good?

You're spot on about the "alert" posture. I don't use dekes except in open field environments and only use a single hen in the feeding position. Guess I might should try having more imagination at times :roll:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:I've been looking at them for a late season decoy, when the woods gets a good under growth or in a hayfield when the hay is getting high enough to hide most of a birds body. The only place I could see it working is in an open hayfield with high enough hay so just the head was sticking above the hay to look around, but if you don't hunt hayfields or high grass where it would stick out it wouldn't be much good?

It's well known that strutter decoys work best in the early season and again in the late season. A strutting bird is also a relaxed bird and not on alert. I've had great luck with the strutter at the end of May when the hay is high in Michigan but the real tail fan can still be seen above the grass.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

onpoint

Postby onpoint » February 28th, 2013, 7:48 am

Where I hunt in Kansas they grow cattle fodder called Brome which they bale similar to hay. Provided they've had enough moisture, it gets plenty high for that. Might try it there :idea:

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 28th, 2013, 11:29 am

My intention was to use it with a feeding hen decoy, and modify the stake on it from a rigid stake to a spring steel stake. That way it would look like a bird watching over a feeding bird, and you'd get some movement out of it if the wind was blowing a little. When birds are together feeding there is always one bird that keeps it's head up watching as the others feed. In that situation I think it could be a very effective decoy?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 28th, 2013, 8:35 pm

I use avian x and didnt know about the funky chicken till recently but when I saw it, I had to have it! the flextone jake, in my opinion is perfect. Its very affordable and it sells itself. Perfect color scheme, submissive body, and tall so its easily seen by approaching birds(and easily seen in tall brush/undergrowth). Alot of people say it looks "unrealistic" but it is realistic to a turkey! If you were a turkey and saw the funky chicken you wouldnt say "wow thats unrealistic." you would say, "look at that weird looking turkey!" turkeys dont see a decoy...they see a turkey. The only flaw I can see with it is that it is fairly alert but I have used just about every decoy there is.....and when I saw this I knew it was a winner. So dont back off of it because its cheap or looks weird. its supposed to look weird and is probably going to be the reason that thing kills thousands of turkeys across america this spring. Ready to see it in action!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion