VEST ON? OR OFF?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
charlie elk

Re: VEST ON? OR OFF?

Postby charlie elk » January 29th, 2013, 2:03 pm

kygobbler wrote:I will be going back to the Elite 3 because sometimes its aggervating taking it and putting it back on again thru out the day.

Agree with your old vest selection, I use the original Mossy Oak Elite vest, the one with the zip off sleeves which has been discontinued. I got lucky a few years ago when Bass Pro found some leftover in inventory and sold me 3 of them for $50 giving me a couple of backups in my inventory.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » January 29th, 2013, 3:00 pm

VEST ON ALWAYS! My vest is where all my calls are and i can quickly access them when I am setup. My vest is also built for comfort when on the ground and against the tree with padding in the appropriate areas. My vest also has a shooters shoulder with no strap or buckles in the way so it is more comfortable to shoot with it on than without it on. So yes i keep the vest on during setups. if im in a blind, which is rarely, the vest goes on the ground as i am usually in a chair and I can afford to move a little more grabbing calls and such from my vest.
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » January 29th, 2013, 3:39 pm

I use a belly belt with suspenders which has call pouches and a storage pouch in the back for larger "stuff" and my cushion is suspended from the belt and ,like Shaman, I carry a "Turkey bag" pretty much just like his. When I set up I unsnap the buckle on the belt and lay my bag beside me so I can get at things I will be using. I can shrug off the suspenders if I feel like it and just be sitting on the cushion.
It's pretty easy to snap things back together and get moving, when I have to.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 29th, 2013, 5:00 pm

don't wear a vest. i found an old ww 2 medic bag has 4 pouches with a shoulder strap and it works good and a cushion the hooks to the back of my belt i guess i come to a point in my life where i feel that i don't need alot of gadets. i can get by with a few calls ,my mask and gloves and relay on good calling and picking good setup spots....wayne

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » January 29th, 2013, 9:04 pm

I undo the straps around my shoulder, and sit on the cushion, lean the backrest against a tree. Like turkey junky, I move a lot when I'm trying to get a better setup, having those shoulder straps restricting me doesn't work.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » January 29th, 2013, 9:47 pm

I used to have a vest where it had the straps you could undo, but now I have the full elite vest. I like the back pad when leaning against a tree. The vest is comfortable and really doesn't restrict my movement, and the calls stay organized and easily accessable.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » January 29th, 2013, 10:44 pm

i start out every hunt with vest on but i will leave it to get indian on em
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 29th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Both.

I will take my vest off sometimes and leave it on sometimes. I have the Mossy Oak Elite 3 vest and have hunted with an Elite ever since I started using a vest. I don't use the pad that comes with the vest though, too bulky moving through the woods for my taste. I put a smaller pad in the back pouch and use that.

I sometimes use a gobbler lounger and I can have the vest on or off sitting in it too.

My calls are a little easier accessable with the vest on if I want to use one I haven't already taken out. There are a couple of my go-to calls I have handy in easy to reach pockets.

Never had a problem with the vest hanging up on anything when I leave it on.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

eggshell

Postby eggshell » January 30th, 2013, 8:33 am

An interesting question T.J. and I have enjoyed the responses. I have been thinking of getting a new vest and this touches on my dilemma. My old vest is a Liberty vest that has to be between 10 and 15 years old. I love it, as it is only one layer of material with a thin cushion attached. It has two outside waist level pockets and tow interior zipping pockets, that's it. Oh it does have a game bag on the back and it's thin too. Movement is not a problem with it so it stays on all the time. I have pants made in the military fashion with extra pockets on the legs. I go light as I only carry these items: gloves, three extra shells, one slate call (a willow ridge instant death call), two mouth calls (maybe three), face mask, pen & tagging ties. On occasion I may have a small light. As I look for a new vest my complaints are how bulky they are and so many dagblame gadgets and 500 pockets with a couch for a cushion attached. Heck if i can't find a vest I like I may be purchasing one of shaman's "Man Purses".

Oh as for blinds and decoys, i don't own either. I have officially sat in a blind once for about 20 minutes and that was enough, I like to see more. There are times that decoys are an asset, but they're too much hassle. If I had a particular bird I was after and I thought a decoy would kill him I'd barrow one and use it. So far in 42 years I 've done this once to kill a bird. I have no problem walking away from a stubborn bird and leaving him in the gene pool, I'll go find his stupid horny cousin and remove his genes.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » January 30th, 2013, 9:40 am

i always leave my new vest on because it's easy to get my calls out when standing or sitting.
i would take my old vest off sometimes because it was so dang heavy (i used to carry every call i owned) and it was hard to get at some pockets when i sat down.
then i went to a sling over the shoulder man purse but couldnt get enough stuff in it.
so a couple years ago i got an ol tom time and motion strap vest and it's great. never take it off in the woods and even put it on in the house sometimes practicing calls when no one else is home. :D
it was kinda pricey but has just the right amount of call and gear specific and easy to get to pockets. i am able to carry what i need and its still lightweight.
i pack a slate, glass and box call, a gobbler tube, xtra strikers, it has lanyards where i attach my mouth call pouch and a tube call. theres a couple waterproof pockets where i put my permits and others for chalk, call conditioner, multi tool, binos and xtra mask and gloves. it has a thick butt cushion that stays up out of the way that i just use for a back rest unless i forget my short-legged turkey seat.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion