Ugh, daylight savings...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
1Morgan

Ugh, daylight savings...

Postby 1Morgan » January 25th, 2013, 6:13 am

Spring forward on March 10th this year. The opener is on the 15th, not enough time to get used to waking up early. They need to just do away with it!!
South Carolina Low Country

misoiltester

Re: Ugh, daylight savings...

Postby misoiltester » January 25th, 2013, 8:55 am

1Morgan wrote:Spring forward on March 10th this year. The opener is on the 15th, not enough time to get used to waking up early. They need to just do away with it!!

AWWW .. yer' gonna be up wwaaayyyyy before daylight anyway :lol:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 25th, 2013, 10:05 am

1Morgan wrote:Spring forward on March 10th this year. The opener is on the 15th, not enough time to get used to waking up early. They need to just do away with it!!

Scratching my head on this one.

So if you would have got up at 4:00 am under this time (standard time) then under DST you get up at 5:00 am.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 25th, 2013, 11:52 am

Treerooster wrote:

So if you would have got up at 4:00 am under this time (standard time) then under DST you get up at 5:00 am.

The sun comes up the same time each morning, but the clock moves ahead, so now your gettin up an hour earlier in the spring. The clock is showing 4am, but the sun is now up at 3am.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

retranger

Postby retranger » January 25th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Throw the clock away and just get up. LOL
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 25th, 2013, 1:51 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:
Treerooster wrote:

The sun comes up the same time each morning,

No the sun comes up a minute or 2 earlier each day until the summer solstice. But I just said that so someone might be as confused as I am. :D

but the clock moves ahead, so now your gettin up an hour earlier in the spring. The clock is showing 4am, but the sun is now up at 3am.

When I check the sunrise/sunset tables it shows sunrise occurs an hour later (relative to the clock). If it occured at 6:00 it now occurs at 7:00 after DST.

So if you are not involed in society, just camping out and hunting turkeys (and I have been there) it doesn't matter what time sunrise occurs as your day is dictated by actual sunrise and sunset. You are up before sunrise and go to bed after sunset (if you legally can and choose to hunt the evening).

If you are still a member of society (going to work, interacting with your family etc) then it does matter when sunrise occurs. Say you go to bed at 10:00 every night. And lets say under Standard time sunrise is 5:00. Then DST hits so now sunrise is 6:00. But you are going to bed (from what your body is used to) really at 9:00. So you don't get to sleep until an hour later which is really 11:00 (but used to be 10:00) by the clock. So you get the same hours of sleep as you would under standard time except you laid awake in bed for an hour. Comprende?

I hope this is all perfectly clear...eh? :mrgreen:

I need a nap.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 25th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Treerooster wrote:So if you are not involed in society, just camping out and hunting turkeys (and I have been there) it doesn't matter what time sunrise occurs as your day is dictated by actual sunrise and sunset. You are up before sunrise and go to bed after sunset (if you legally can and choose to hunt the evening).

Makes sense to me. Checkout of society, disconnect and go turkey hunting.

Contrary to popular belief in DST- the sun rises and sets as it has for centuries. It is only arrogant politicians that think they've changed it. And there are those who are bad at math & think its been changed.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 25th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Just reset all your clocks now. That way, you'll be an hour early for any appointments and you won't be jet lagging when the time comes. See, no worries. I wish I could start hunting on March 10. Make sure you keep us informed of your successes.

I usually can't sleep much the night before Opening Day and I'm always up & ready to go before the alarm goes off anyway.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 25th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Spring forward...if, sunrise has been at 7am, 7am will be 8am, meaning sunrise is now 6am (by the clock).

I usually watch the sunrise from my back porch while waiting for the coffee to grease my bowels. Now, I will have to get up an hour earlier for the bowels to be greased and make it to the woods well before sunrise. I don't like to poop in the woods, skeeter bites on the butt suck!!
South Carolina Low Country

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 25th, 2013, 9:33 pm

1Morgan wrote:Spring forward...if, sunrise has been at 7am, 7am will be 8am, meaning sunrise is now 6am (by the clock).

I usually watch the sunrise from my back porch while waiting for the coffee to grease my bowels. Now, I will have to get up an hour earlier for the bowels to be greased and make it to the woods well before sunrise. I don't like to poop in the woods, skeeter bites on the butt suck!!

Tomorrow morning when you are having your coffee and the sun is coming up set your clock ahead 1 hour. Turn around 1 full turn and look what time the sun is coming up. I think you will find the sun is now rising is 1 hour later.

Or check this sunrise sunset calendar for NC. You will have to change the month to march then enter a town for North Carolina then click on the make a calendar button.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/USA/North_Carolina.asp

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion