Thermo-Cells

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Steve_In

Thermo-Cells

Postby Steve_In » January 22nd, 2013, 8:13 pm

I am interested in a Thermo-Cell but i have some questions. I am not so much interested in them for turkey hunting unless they would repel TICKS. I don't like the spray on or hand apply repellents, but I still use them. The Cell would be used fishing in a boat, on the patio, squirrel hunting maybe turkey if the bugs got unbearable.
1 About how long does the butane last?
2 About how long do the repellent pads last?
3 If you have one would you recommend them?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Thermo-Cells

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 22nd, 2013, 9:05 pm

http://www.thermacell.com/

Will help answer a lot of your questions about their products. They keep you protected, cool, warm, and also chase more that just skeeters away, black flies, no-see-ums, and other flying insects. I use mine turkey hunting, deer hunting, trout fishing, walleye fishing, outside in the shop,
The pads last 4/5 hours, the butane last 3/4 pads. I wouldn't be in the woods without one.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » January 22nd, 2013, 9:20 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:http://www.thermacell.com/

Will help answer a lot of your questions about their products. They keep you protected, cool, warm, and also chase more that just skeeters away, black flies, no-see-ums, and other flying insects. I use mine turkey hunting, deer hunting, trout fishing, walleye fishing, outside in the shop,
The pads last 4/5 hours, the butane last 3/4 pads. I wouldn't be in the woods without one.

DEER HUNTING? I have mixed feelings about deer/elk smelling it. If I can smell how come the deer/elk can't?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 22nd, 2013, 9:33 pm

Being that it's a warmed air sent, heat rises, and it's only a small area that it covers 15x15 foot, they would have to be on top of you before they smell it. It disapates into the air fast if there is a slight breeze. They also make an earth sent to help cover you up.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 22nd, 2013, 10:12 pm

im am going to have to get 1 for my hunt in OK there was some mean no see ems there that would bite the hell out of my temple area of my head wear my face mask dose not quit meet my hat they would get in there & eat the hell out of my ears & temples... try sit n still with a damn bug in your ears!!! lol NE was bad also but them bugs were not as mean as them OK bugs but they were bad in there own way they would just buzz & buzz around my ears...

i was under the impression that the smell that the them a sell throws off was a natural sent found in nature??? & did not scare game off??? that was there claim to fame a few yrs ago...???

minute wise how long dose a pad last??? for 20 some bucks the them a cell is a great deal the lanterns are a great idea for fishing or on boats & or for on the patio in the evenings...

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » January 22nd, 2013, 10:37 pm

used one in Okeechobee fl (the perfect place for the thermocell test) for my Osceola hunt where the mosquitos are huge and always buzzing around and it worked wonders. my guide, who was behind me, ended up side by side with me to get away from the mosquitoes. there was literally a WALL of mosquitoes around us and we sat for around an hour and it lasted just fine.
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 22nd, 2013, 11:38 pm

They don't repel ticks to my knowledge. Best for ticks is the permithrin spray on my clothes that lasts about 3 weeks.

I don't really keep track how of long a butane cartridge lasts, maybe about 8 or 10 hours? It seems my cartridges last just short of what they say they are supposed to. It says the pads last 3 times as long as the butane, but I have used just 2 pads per cartridge. The pads turn white when they are pretty much done. I always carry an extra cartridge and a couple pads too so I don't run out.

I think there is a way to refill the butane cartridges but I have never done it.

It takes about 5 minutes to get all the mosquiters away. I don't have mine on when I am walking so I still need to put bug spray on. I don't think they work if you are walking along, but really haven't tried it. Heck the mosquitoes are so thick where I hunt in N Wis in the late season, that a bunch end up in my truck just from opening the door to get in & out. No lie!

I would definitelty recommend one if the mosquitoes are bad. They certainly make it easier for me to sit still. You can find them on sale (along with refills) many times.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 23rd, 2013, 12:47 am

If the skeets are bad, I clip mine right onto my vest and start it when I leave the truck. They will work as your walking in and out, and if you stop to look the skeets won't cover you up
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » January 23rd, 2013, 7:09 am

I bought one for hunting and camping, They ork great keeping mosquitos and even biting flies away. I definitely recomend
Brian

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 23rd, 2013, 8:47 am

Highly recommend the thermacell.
I have used mine to repel serious bugs like the hoards above the Arctic Circle in Alaska and Canada. It accompanies me here in WI on late season spring turkey hunts and early fall deer hunts: deer have never picked up any scent from the unit and I hunt on the ground a lot to shoot at least one of these each year-
buck with bow.JPG
buck with bow.JPG (79.92 KiB) Viewed 572 times

The Thermacell allows me to hold still rather than trying to discreetly shoo bugs away.

You'll end up with a lot extra thermacell pads because they usually last almost as long the butane; about 12-16 hours. To save a buck you can buy extra generic butane refills at Walmart. They stock them next to the lady's curling irons.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion