Help.....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
kygobbler

Help.....

Postby kygobbler » January 20th, 2013, 9:33 am

My addiction to turkey hunting is getting to me in a bad way. I haven't hunted them in a month and Im getting the sweats, cold chills, and the sshakeeess. I had a dream last night that I had gobblers all around me but every time I pulled the trigger the paper came out of my barrel that says bang like the cartoons.So at 2 am I go down to the basement and get all my calls out and start playing with them. I guess I was really getting into it because my wife came down with the frying pan. Next thing I know its 7 am and now I have a head ache and a big lump on the back of my head. Im assuming that a gobbler whooped my butt in my dream again. :lol:

I dont know why the bug is getting so bad this year but I need a fix. My season doesn't start till April 13th and it's not getting here fast enough. Maybe I can test some new products from ACME to help me get over my addiction. Is anybody else having the same trouble?
Is it turkey season yet?

grizzly

Re: Help.....

Postby grizzly » January 20th, 2013, 10:18 am

i found that coyote hunting helps pass the time . by hunting them in daytime you have to work on good setups and calling. yotes have all the same problems as turkeys great eyesight and hearing as well as smell i think by hunting them it's help me become a better hunter learning how a predator hunts and reacts....wayne

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 20th, 2013, 10:57 am

Try not having a Fall season like NC, and see how that one works for ya' We get one month of turkey hunting and 11 monts of waiting. That's what there's scouting for I guess.

Hang in there man. Every day turkey season is getting closer. Good thing this forum exists. Just Sayin'

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 20th, 2013, 12:55 pm

im with cut n run on the no fall hunt thing well we have a fall season in MN but i cant get into the fall season plus i have a new hunting dog & so much upland game birds to chase i stick to the KING spring turkey hunting...

but man i feel you kygobbler im watching as many turkey DVDs & TV shows as i can to get them shakes under control!!! i keep looking at the calls but i better not even start with them yet or its a full blown relapse!!!

im in full bore planing stage at the moment ive talked to a bunch of biologist in the areas i plan to hunt & now i just have to wait till about mid march to get my tags for each state i plan to hunt this spring... or get the draw results for the states i had to apply for to hunt... im also looking at on-line pics of the areas i plan & doing my on-line pre scouting now love that part...

only bummer so far was a lost WMA due to fire & i looked at a new area & it looked great for turkey & i seen there was a cabin to rent for cheap in the area wear i could walk out my camp & kill a merriams i got all excited then i looked to see if the cabin was booked or not & low & behold its open every day till the day B4 turkey season opens? & booked every day but 1 or 2 for the 1st 3 WKs of the turkey season wonder whats going on there??? lol it must be good then id guess??? i mite try late season there but???

any way it will get worse B4 it gets better kygobbler so just hang in there it will be here B4 we know it!!! mite have to try a early season hunt out of state to get ur fix??? FL AL MS NE all have a early season or early archery season ???

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 20th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Sorry to hear you've been bit by the bug of calling, I know having new calls to try this spring is a tough bug to break. BUT, having a wife with a cast iron fry pan is a good thing, it forces you to learn and profect your soft calling, if she can hear it your calling to loud. Trust me when I say birds can hear soft calling from a long distance away. They say one of the problems with new hunters is over calling, BS, it's calling to loud to long. If you've got a hot gobbler coming and you quit calling, you risk the chance of that bird going cold or getting side tracked before he gets to you. If you profect your soft calling techniques you can call him right up to the gun barrel, no matter what season your hunting. Once you learn what calls to give him and how to use them, it'll surprise you on how effective it is. Practice your soft calling to a state where you don't even have to think about doing it, will improve your success ratio by a huge percent.
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on January 20th, 2013, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » January 20th, 2013, 6:01 pm

kygobbler wrote:My addiction to turkey hunting is getting to me in a bad way. I haven't hunted them in a month and Im getting the sweats, cold chills, and the sshakeeess. I had a dream last night that I had gobblers all around me but every time I pulled the trigger the paper came out of my barrel that says bang like the cartoons.So at 2 am I go down to the basement and get all my calls out and start playing with them. I guess I was really getting into it because my wife came down with the frying pan. Next thing I know its 7 am and now I have a head ache and a big lump on the back of my head. Im assuming that a gobbler whooped my butt in my dream again. :lol:

I hope your head didn't dent the frying pan too bad :D I have been thinking about two Rio Grande gobblers all the time since last spring so I understand the craziness. I can only imagine that it will get worse as the season gets closer.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 20th, 2013, 10:06 pm

turkey junky wrote:im watching as many turkey DVDs & TV shows as i can to get them shakes under control!!!
grizzly wrote:i found that coyote hunting helps pass the time .

Wayne, I tried doing the yote hunting. I was on vacation the two weeks before xmas and did a bunch of hunting. I saw plenty during that time but it still aint the same as turkey hunting but it's always nice when you can shoot the big guns at something.

Cut N Run wrote:Try not having a Fall season like NC,

Jim, brother I strongly believe I might have to move if we didn't have a fall season. I feel for ya boys down south and not having the fall season to help pass the time. I truly enjoy the fall season over the spring.

turkey junky wrote:im watching as many turkey DVDs & TV shows as i can to get them shakes under control!!!

I watched a video of a guy hunting up here in KY and while I was watching I was yelling SHOOT SHOOT. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON AND PULL THE TRIGGER ALREADY! :lol:

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Sorry to hear you've been bit by the bug of calling,

dewey wrote:I hope your head didn't dent the frying pan too bad

Dewey, the pan is ok luckly it is harder than my head. :lol: Scott, I got to blame you for my head I was praticing with those new calls you sent down here. They are so good that I got carried away and got way too loud with excitement on how this spring will hopefully turn out. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 20th, 2013, 10:07 pm

grizzly wrote:i found that coyote hunting helps pass the time .

Wayne, I tried doing the yote hunting. I was on vacation the two weeks before xmas and did a bunch of hunting. I saw plenty during that time but it still aint the same as turkey hunting but it's always nice when you can shoot the big guns at something.

Cut N Run wrote:Try not having a Fall season like NC,

Jim, brother I strongly believe I might have to move if we didn't have a fall season. I feel for ya boys down south and not having the fall season to help pass the time. I truly enjoy the fall season over the spring.

I watched a video of a guy hunting up here in KY and while I was watching I was yelling SHOOT SHOOT. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING ON AND PULL THE TRIGGER ALREADY! :lol:

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Sorry to hear you've been bit by the bug of calling,

dewey wrote:I hope your head didn't dent the frying pan too bad

Dewey, the pan is ok luckly it is harder than my head. :lol: Scott, I got to blame you for my head I was praticing with those new calls you sent down here. They are so good that I got carried away and got way too loud with excitement on how this spring will hopefully turn out. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 21st, 2013, 7:19 pm

Yikes!!! sorry partner, guess I'll take the blame for that one.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » January 21st, 2013, 7:28 pm

you'll just have to pick up and move to va., i just got in from an afternoon hunt, empty handed of course....was a nice day, flushed one, it [or i assume it was that one ] answered after around 45 min, but never showed itself.....going to be CCOOLLDD/windy tomorrow, gonna pass, but i've got one more crack at it on wed. we'll see....season goes out again on saturday, til april.....do you think i oughta hide our skillet ??
David

You never know, unless you go

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion