Top turkey hunting states

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

Top turkey hunting states

Postby dewey » January 14th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Brian has a nice article on the home page listing his top 5 turkey hunting states and it got me thinking what is everyone's top turkey hunting states. I have also provided links to other folks top turkey hunting states lists and quick, hopefully copied correctly, look at their top states.

Here is a link to Brian's article.
http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/t ... g-revealed
#5 MO & IA
#4 KS
#3 NE
#2 SD
#1 WI

American Hunter article.
http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/ ... y-hunting/
#10 SD
#9 FL
#8 TN
#7 KS
#6 OK
#5 PA
#4 TX
#3 MO
#2 WI
#1 AL

Wild turkey hunting network or NWTF (same article)
http://www.bowhunting.net/wildturkey.ne ... tates.html
http://www.nwtf.org/articles.php?id=10170
#10 KY
#9 TX
#8 OK
#7 MI
#6 MS
#5 NY
#4 WI
#3 PA
#2 AL
#1 MO

Live Outdoors
#5 NY
#4 WI
#3 PA
#2 AL
#1 MO

What are your thoughts? I know T&TH magazine does an article every spring about each state and some general information about each state. What is everyone's thoughts on what a great state is? Turkey population? Turkey subspecies? Tag prices? Bag limits? Public access?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Re: Top turkey hunting states

Postby turkey junky » January 14th, 2013, 6:02 pm

brians top 5 is the only list of top turkey states that a real die hard turkey hunter knows he must go hands down!!! all the other lists are basicly just the top 10 states for either turkey population & or turkey harvests each season that goes most yrs population wise AL TX WI PA MO & harvest just means there that many hunters in that state but PA WI NY AL MO TX take that cake... watch what states pro hunters hunt on the regular basis like primos its a good hint on wear the top states are for turkeys...

any way here is my top 5

1)KS
2)NE
3)WI
4)OK
5)SD
6)FL
7)AL
8)TX
9)MO
10)TN/GA

honorable mentions...
MN,MS,SC,CO,WY,KY

Hookspur

Postby Hookspur » January 15th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Man, I'd have a hard time listing my top 25, let alone a top 5! I've had tremendous hunts in ALL 49 of 'em, but if I had to list 10 of the best, they might look like this (although not necessarily in this order...every one is practically interchangeable with any other):

1) Hawaii
2) Florida
3) New York
3) Wisconsin
4) South Carolina
5) Kansas
6) Washington
7) Virginia
8) Missouri
9) New Jersey
10) Pennsylvania

There's a lot that goes into a personal list of favorites, and it might not have much to do with numbers of birds heard or killed. Heck, I could just as easily have listed these as favorites, and wouldn't have hesitated in the least:

1) Indiana
2) Kentucky
3) West Virginia
4) Louisiana
5) Iowa
6) Michigan
7) New Mexico
8) Utah
9) Maine
10) South Dakota

I guess my favorite state is always the one I'm hunting in at that moment, and I'm really glad that I can't choose any one over the others.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 15th, 2013, 10:31 pm

Notice that NC doesn't make anybody's list. There's good reason too. There's some turkeys around...in the right places. There just ain't enough of the right places here that I have access to anymore.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » January 15th, 2013, 11:23 pm

I've hunted Alabama, GA, and FL. So for fun of course If I had to go in order there:

1)Alabama
2)Georgia
3)Florida
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » January 16th, 2013, 7:13 am

turkey junky wrote:brians top 5 is the only list of top turkey states that a real die hard turkey hunter knows he must go hands down!!! all the other lists are basicly just the top 10 states for either turkey population & or turkey harvests each season that goes most yrs population wise AL TX WI PA MO & harvest just means there that many hunters in that state but PA WI NY AL MO TX take that cake... watch what states pro hunters hunt on the regular basis like primos its a good hint on wear the top states are for turkeys...

any way here is my top 5

1)KS
2)NE
3)WI
4)OK
5)SD
6)FL
7)AL
8)TX
9)MO
10)TN/GA

honorable mentions...
MN,MS,SC,CO,WY,KY

Kansas gets my vote for #1 as well. I hunt NW Florida with little access to quality hunting ground so I'm not putting it on my list
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 16th, 2013, 12:37 pm

i guess its like hookspur said its more about the hunt then the kill for me i just love each sub species & the terrain it calls home... they are not nearly all the same & each terrain makes the hunt for me as dose the traits/habits & color or sound of the sub species im hunting at the time...

there is states i dream about going to each spring even if i did not bag a gobbler there like MT & FL those places were so beautiful it maid up for the lack of a trigger pull & a flop n bird... for a northern MN turkey hunter south FL is as different as it gets from the warm weather to the time of year you hunt them to the swamps the osceolas live in i would go back in a heart break if i had the time & $$$ to do so... every hard core turkey hunter ows it to himself to try out florida once just for the experience & habitat you will be in... also public land in south FL will humble the most cocky turkey hunter... thats a good thing in turkey hunting it should teach you something...

any way go ahead & name your dream states to hunt in guys??? id love to tag each sub species in each of its original home range got to get a merriams & osceola to do that... so CO or NM is on my must hit list & FL again

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » January 16th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Here is my top 5...1)NE 2)KS 3)IL, my home state, 4)MO 5)IA. The # 1 and 2 pics take care of archery hunters.

retranger

Postby retranger » January 16th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I have to pick my home state of NY in the Northern Adirondack Mts,,,,,,,reasons

Area is beautiful, all areas in US are beautiful, just different
Being on a fixed income I can't afford the tags,,,I have a life time license and my tags are free.
I can hunt on private and public land 15 minutes from my home, or walk 2 minutes up the road
We have a good population of birds
You don't have to worry about the crawly things on the ground driving you off your set up

I'm sure all the other areas you fellows hunt are just as good, I'm just happy here.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 16th, 2013, 4:57 pm

I've to agree with you Doug when it comes to turkey hunting spring or fall this is a great state . To be honest i have never hunted in any other state and i have always dreamed of going out west to hunt merriams maybe someday . But N.Y has what a turkey hunter asks for a good number of birds ,a decent amount of public land and wonderful landscapes . i know here in my home county of Tioga we have Turkey Trot Acres and they host some of the top turkey hunters who come back time after time so we must be something to turkey hunting in good old New York....wayne

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion