Trying anything new this year?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stankyolgobbler

Re: Trying anything new this year?

Postby stankyolgobbler » January 14th, 2013, 12:40 am

No more mossberg 535. I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 and just ordered the Rhino .660-2" choke for Hevi-Shot........which I also just started shooting, the Hevi-Metal 4 over 6 shot.
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 14th, 2013, 5:58 pm

I hope you like that SBE II as much as I like mine Sage. My best friend uses a Rhino .660 in his SBE and that gun is a turkey killing machine. Good luck with it this year.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » January 14th, 2013, 6:15 pm

if'n it ain't broke.....but i'm hoping to procure a new trumpet
David

Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

heinzc

Postby heinzc » January 14th, 2013, 8:03 pm

I think this year I am actually going to try and get an arrow into a turkey instead of over it's back or under his belly. Other than that I put together an all proph three reed diaphragm and a proph latex combo I am excited to see how the birds react to them.
Prov. 3:5,6

fowlfan

Postby fowlfan » January 14th, 2013, 10:42 pm

I had always used Hevi-13 #6 with good success. This last fall, I decided to try the Magnum Blend after seeing all the hype. I killed a really nice Tom at a far piece with it. I'm going to use it again this spring and make a final determination. It patterns really well out of my gun so I'm pretty sure I can't lose.

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » January 14th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Cut N Run wrote:I hope you like that SBE II as much as I like mine Sage. My best friend uses a Rhino .660 in his SBE and that gun is a turkey killing machine. Good luck with it this year.

Jim

I love the gun Jim! I hope the choke patterns as well as I've heard. SHould be in the mail this week. Good luck this spring Jim, I'm sure we will talk more!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » January 15th, 2013, 4:45 am

Locally- it looks like the private land I've been hunting the last few years in NY isn't going to be available, so I am going to try my luck on public land. I have a couple good leads & I've got a few spots where I've seen birds in the past, so I'll be doing a lot of running & gunning this spring.

retranger

Postby retranger » January 15th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Back to the gobbler lounger,,,,,I looked on Cablelas web site, they have two listed and both for the same price. The camo on one looks a little brighter other than that they look like they are identical. One is listed as in stock and the other is back ordered. I'm wondering if any of you fellows have ever used one in a pop up blind such as the ameristep brickhouse?
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 15th, 2013, 4:21 pm

I'm not sure if the lounger would be high enough for you to shoot out the windows? They only sit you about 4" off the ground. They are a very comfortable seat, but they do limit your ability to move, because of their bucket seat style. What I use in my blind, for the shooter, is a swivel bucket seat on a 5 gal pale, they are strong enough to hold a 350lbs + man on it without breaking, and you can put a lot of extras in the pale and carry it easy.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 16th, 2013, 2:24 am

retranger wrote:Back to the gobbler lounger,,,,,I looked on Cablelas web site, they have two listed and both for the same price. The camo on one looks a little brighter other than that they look like they are identical. One is listed as in stock and the other is back ordered. I'm wondering if any of you fellows have ever used one in a pop up blind such as the ameristep brickhouse?

As Scott said it would definitely not work in a blind due to it being so low to the ground. Whenever Im hunting in a blind I use a small fold out chair with arm rest. I cant remember who made it but I bought it the same time as I did the blind. If you are looking for a chair for a blind go to your local hunting store. If they have some blinds up just grab a chair and go in the blinds and see how it will do. You might get some odd looks while you do this. :D Atleast I did when I was picking out my chair. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion