One thing we all can do.

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

One thing we all can do.

Postby allaboutshooting » January 7th, 2013, 8:55 pm

I read this this morning and it looks like something that we all could do, in one way or another.

This man makes a point of reading shooting magazines when he travels or when he's out in a waiting room, etc. He says when other people see what he's reading, a conversation usually starts.

He says he doesn't look to convert anyone, he's just a soft-spoken, reasonable guy who happens to enjoy responsibly owning and shooting guns.

He does not consider himself an exception but rather a member of the vast majority of law-abiding, responsible gun owners across the nation.

Many people in our country are not anti-gun but many are uninformed about who we as gun owners are. Educating those folks is an important job.

It sounds like this is one thing we all can do.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

grizzly

Re: One thing we all can do.

Postby grizzly » January 8th, 2013, 4:59 am

I agree whole heartly Clark . We as gun owners must put our best foot foward and show the public that we are not the kooks the meidia try to make us out to be . I have found that the same thing helps when dealing with people who don't hunt . Pointing out how tag fees are used for improving habitat and how groups such as NWTF, Ducks Unlimited and Trout unlimited use there resources to improve the feilds and wetlands and streams not only for game animals but other animals as well. in short when we are out in public we should not be hide that we like guns and love to hunt but when you are confronted by an anti in public stay calm, think about what you're saying and be polilte and that way you leave a good impression on people who don't hunt or own guns and thats a good thing......wayne

retranger

Postby retranger » January 8th, 2013, 10:05 am

A very frustrating subject to me. Gun bands are not going to eliminate guns, only the law biding cit will not have them. I believe it is only a small percent that are against but they have certain money groups behind them. I think it is the same as anything else. In NY the Adirondack Mountain and Serria Club controls the DEC. Good or Bad when I finish reading my outdoor magazines I leave them in the Dr.'s office for others to read
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 10th, 2013, 8:20 pm

I left mags in my daughter's orthodontist office only to return and find them gone. I don't know if there was someone that took them to read or they were removed so as not to offend patients. Back in the good old days there were all sorts of hunting mags in the waiting rooms.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 10th, 2013, 8:30 pm

I do think the referring to every firearm as a WEAPON puts all hunters, shooters, and gun owners in a bad light. My flintlock or percussion muzzleloaders would not be my first choice in a defense situation but I constantly hear them being called weapons. This might come from being around a lifetime weekend warrior gun club member that insisted all guns be called weapons.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion