Royal Slam ?Questions?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
southwesthunter

Royal Slam ?Questions?

Postby southwesthunter » December 10th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but look forward to meeting each of you.

I know these are going to sound like big questions from the new guy, but i am curious!

Has anyone here ever killed a Royal slam with archery equipment? If so, have you done it in one season? If so, was your Gould's an American bird or a Mexican bird?
Do you know of anyone that has done this?

The reason I ask is because I was lucky enough to draw an Arizona Gould's tag (it took me 9 bonus points), and I am excited about trying the Royal slam next spring.
I am just an average guy that works a 50 hour week, no money for guides and fancy accommodations. I will be hunting all of these birds with family and friends.

Thanks in advance for your input!

homunculi

Re: Royal Slam ?Questions?

Postby homunculi » December 10th, 2012, 9:50 pm

welcome to the forum .... i will not ever get a royal slam but i have taken turkey with my crossbow and this year my compound bow ... i do not have the cash to travel states or buy out of state tags ... i wish i did ,,,,
the guys here are nice .. and very welcoming ... ask a question and some one can answer it ... if not point you in the right direction ....

other than that ... enjoy the forum .. have a good time ... and again ... welcome ...

southwesthunter

Postby southwesthunter » December 10th, 2012, 10:42 pm

thank you!

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » December 16th, 2012, 8:09 am

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the Gould's tag. Now is the time to start planning and try your luck at a single season Royal Slam. I drew a Gould's tag two years ago and decided to try for a single season Royal Slam. I have friends to help me out with the Eastern and the Rio's and hunted the Merriam's in New Mexico since you are able to purchase tags over the counter. My only problem was the Osceola. I got on the phone and internet, contacted wildlife officials in Florida, and was lucky enough to find a couple of great people who are now very good friends to help me out. I was able to take a single season Royal Slam, however it was with a shotgun, trust me that was harder then I could have imagined. From all the information I gathered I was the second of two that took a single season Royal Slam where all the birds were taken within the U.S., it took me 40+ days (not all hunting). I was able to finish up my World Slam this past spring, it took less then a year I started March 19th 2011 and finished March 7th 2012. I thought that was pretty good until someone took a World Slam in 33+ days just this past season, his Gould's was taken in Mexico.

What unit did you draw? I wish you well on you quest with a bow.

Bill

dewey

Postby dewey » January 10th, 2013, 5:14 pm

southwesthunter wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but look forward to meeting each of you.

I know these are going to sound like big questions from the new guy, but i am curious!

Has anyone here ever killed a Royal slam with archery equipment? If so, have you done it in one season? If so, was your Gould's an American bird or a Mexican bird?
Do you know of anyone that has done this?

The reason I ask is because I was lucky enough to draw an Arizona Gould's tag (it took me 9 bonus points), and I am excited about trying the Royal slam next spring.
I am just an average guy that works a 50 hour week, no money for guides and fancy accommodations. I will be hunting all of these birds with family and friends.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Goulds tag. I would check the NWTF website under records as I am pretty sure they keep track of that, I would give you a link but I am on my phone.

Good luck this spring and please let us know how the planning is going as well as how the hunt goes.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion