Is it spring yet???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ticklishtompro

Is it spring yet???

Postby ticklishtompro » December 2nd, 2012, 11:23 pm

The last two weeks I have been spending a lot of time in the woods as it was Wisconsin's gun deer season. The last week I have been hunting a property that I normally don't deer hunt in but turkey hunt there a lot. We call it the Honeyhole cause it seems every time you go there you end up seeing turkeys or get some action going. Quite a few birds have been harvested there and lots of other close calls. It is actually a small 20 acre woods that is public hunting and surrounded by property which most of can't be hunted do to the ownership. They don't let anyone in. I have permission for the only other private land that buts up against it on one side, and the other 3 sides are off limits. Because of all the property that can't be hunted there are also lots of deer there. I wasn't successful in harvesting a deer, but saw a couple of real good bucks and lots of does, but they always showed up in the field where I couldn't shoot.

The reason I am posting this is not because of the deer hunting, but because of all the turkeys I sat and watched. There was one flock of over 50 birds that were all hens and poults. While an impressive flock that wasn't what got me so excited. The other flock I watched was a flock of about 20 birds that was all toms and jakes. I haven't seen a lot of bachelor groups quite this large before. I have a group of 7 gobblers that spend their afternoons in a field across the road from my house right now. And then there is the 8 gobblers hanging in one of the other woods I hunt in. I have a fall tag left yet, and probably will try to bring one of the above mentioned gobblers home with my tag strapped on his leg, but I can't help but start to get excited about spring as the crop is looking good! With the application dedline coming up this week for spring tags it just adds to that excitement as it is only a few short months away!

Patience is a virtue!! Hope this winter goes by fast!!! ;)
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion