Prep property for spring season

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
luvthebow

Prep property for spring season

Postby luvthebow » November 26th, 2012, 12:28 am

Happened up on some property that has turkey have at least six toms on trail cam would like some info on what I can do to keep them and or draw them to a certain area for spring season. thanks

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Prep property for spring season

Postby Gopherlongbeards » November 26th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Build a pen near where you want to set your blind. Around 2 weeks before season, put a couple hen turkeys in there. Be sure to feed and water them ;).

Seriously though, toms will go to where the hens are. They may stay on your property, or they may end up miles away. If you're wondering about what you can do to make sure those 6 you've seen on the trail cam are around come spring, I'd say you're thinking too short term. To
attract hens to your property you're going to want to make sure they have access to high quality habitat (roosting trees, food, and nesting cover). If this isn't present you should add it, or improve anything marginal already in place. It's all about the habitat, if it's there, turkeys will use it...

stankyolgobbler

Re: Prep property for spring season

Postby stankyolgobbler » November 26th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:To attract hens to your property you're going to want to make sure they have access to high quality habitat (roosting trees, food, and nesting cover). If this isn't present you should add it, or improve anything marginal already in place. It's all about the habitat, if it's there, turkeys will use it...

That is the best advice on keeping those longbeards around. Just to give you a little extra, read this article I wrote on hen habitat for Wild Turkey Report and how it helps keep mature gobblers around as well.

http://www.wildturkeyreport.com/turkey-hunting:-keep-your-gobblers-close-hens-closer
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion