Share Your Favorite Turkey Memory

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

Re: Share Your Favorite Turkey Memory

Postby shaman » December 13th, 2012, 6:24 am

I was reading through these stories, and the bug hit. That's early for me. Usually I don't start Jonesin' until January.
Drat! Now y'all got me fired up.

Favorite story? Well, back in 2002, I had just bought the farm. I had always said that if I could string a few days of turkey hunting together, I could probably be successful. I'd spent 20 years hunting 1 or 2 days a year, and did not have a lot to show for it. It had taken 5 years just to see a turkey. Another few to get a shot at one, and a few more to actually close the deal. Now, I was going to string a whole week together.

Season opened on Monday. The family left Sunday afternoon. After hunting every morning, I tried to tackle the plumbing on the house. I would work for a while and then take off for town with my dog, Barney. We would listen to Keith Jarrett and bark at cows along the way. In the afternoon, if the leaky pipes would let me, I would go back out and do battle with the gobblers. In the evening, I sat at the back of the house, and traded owl calls with the camp of hunters over on the next ridge.

I look back on this week rather fondly. Here's the rest of the story.

Turkey Camp, 2002
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion