BREAKNECK SPEED

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

BREAKNECK SPEED

Postby mark hay » October 8th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Hello turkey hunters . Been too long since made a real visit . It is hard for me to grasp the idea of how rapid time is passing by. It seems like just the other day I was fall hunting the big birds . Yet the spring has come and gone as well as my job . Now , another fall season begins this coming saturday .
I sat in a treestand last saturday evening . In a 30 minute timeframe I watched 3 , 1 1/2 yr. gobblers , and nine deer . I considered one of the deer but decided he was a mite too far for the recurve . One of the gobblers began watching me . He was about 25 yards away with the other two between him and me . I don't know what caught his eye . I know I didn't move . But , a while back I put some new ratchet straps on the stands . BLAZE ORANGE straps. He either came over to check out the strap or maybe my new hat . Possibly the 51/2 inch yellow fletching on my arrows . Either way he came to about 8 steps taking long looks often . At the end of each look he'd reposition his wings up on his back and then move a little more . He probablydid this 4-5 times before feeding away with his two not -so-curious buddies. They were each sporting 6-8 inch beards and were FULL of color .
I have read a few posts lately . Congrats to you hunters that have been stacking up the birds ,and good hunting to you all that are about to start .

Now , Dana, you stay away from your HONEYHOLE for a while or you'll be tagged out yhe first day :lol:

rbewilson

Re: BREAKNECK SPEED

Postby rbewilson » October 8th, 2012, 3:16 pm

glad to hear from you old friend,I have miss you on here.Hay did any of those strikers work for you?Randy
Last edited by rbewilson on October 8th, 2012, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 8th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Now , Dana, you stay away from your HONEYHOLE for a while or you'll be tagged out the first day :lol:

I know Mark, I am planning on hunting a gobbler early season and passing poults. I will hunt some state land and other area I usually avoid in the spring and leave the honey hole alone unless I get desperate or impatient. It's one thing to say I'll pass birds, but in reality it's tough. However, if a long beard or jake and half comes along Saturday it will be a short season. I will take my daughter some too, so that is an out for more hunting time.

Good to hear from you, was thinking about checking the obituaries.

Good luck my friend
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

grizzly

Postby grizzly » October 8th, 2012, 4:02 pm

good to see you're still with us Mark. i wish you good luck in your hunting adventures my friend...wayne

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 8th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Glad to see you back on Mark :D . Hope your fall hunts go well for turkey and deer, and we get to see some pics of you with your kills.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » October 10th, 2012, 7:49 am

Good luck on the deer and in your Fall turkey season. It sounds like there are plenty of both around. I know what you mean about time passing so quickly...unless you're waiting on something special, then it drags on. Turkey season goes by in a flash, yet it always takes forever to get here. We've got no Fall turkey season here, so there's only 6 months and three days until the Spring turkey season gets here...but who's counting?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 10th, 2012, 9:02 am

welcome back mr.hay, best of luck on your pursuits this fall.....be safe
David

You never know, unless you go

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 10th, 2012, 9:58 am

Welcome back Mark. Your wit and wisdom was sure missed.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 10th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Welcome back Mark good to see youre still kickin. Hope all is well and you are set for the fall season's.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 11th, 2012, 9:19 am

Good to see you, Mark. Hope you get some venison roasts and turkey cutlets!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion