Keep Your Gobblers Close, Hens Closer

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stankyolgobbler

Keep Your Gobblers Close, Hens Closer

Postby stankyolgobbler » September 4th, 2012, 1:04 am

Hey guys, I recently wrote an article for the Wild Turkey Report and wanted yall to check it out. Hope yall like it!

http://www.wildturkeyreport.com/turkey- ... ens-closer
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Mossberg835

Re: Keep Your Gobblers Close, Hens Closer

Postby Mossberg835 » September 4th, 2012, 1:21 am

I really enjoyed that article sage, very well written and very informative. An example to prove what you said is the farm where I used to hunt. When I was too young to hunt my father and brother and uncle had many hunts where they would hear numerous gobbles and see turkeys. Then the farmer took out the one grass field and after that the turkeys vacated the area because the hens had lost their nesting area. This is a prime example of what you wrote and I agree 100% with it.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

grizzly

Postby grizzly » September 4th, 2012, 3:55 am

good article Stank. i agree that a good land use is important for strong turkey numbers .i've been a farmer for many years and seen mom and poults out stripping bugs off of the leaves of corn plants in the early summer it's a lot of fun to see. but i feel there are a other thing that are just as important that dictate turkey numbers. number one is the spring weather a few bad springs in a row and it really shows but we can't do any thing about that. but the one thing i think hurts turkeys and deer numbers as far as that goes is coyotes . over the years i have notice if you're seeing and hearing a lot of coyotes you aren't seeing turkeys 6 years ago i started an very aggestive coyote hunting program and i feel it's paying off , as hunters we can do alot to help turkeys along by doing what we can to improve their breeding and nesting grounds and ridding them of critters that will eat them...wayne

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 4th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Great article, Sage. Thanks.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion