Insurance

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
WildBill

Insurance

Postby WildBill » July 19th, 2012, 1:48 pm

I've been hunting the same property for 5 years, but the landowner now wants me to have hunting lease insurance. Has anyone used American Hunting Lease Association? I've done some research and it seems to be the best price. It is $175 for 468 acres. Is there anything else I should be asking? There were not any membership fees.

Cut N Run

Re: Insurance

Postby Cut N Run » July 19th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Sorry, I don't have specific lease insurance, so I can't speak on it. I carry a pretty substantial blanket liability insurance policy (mainly because I own some rental property) and I can use it if I ever need to. It is worth protecting yourself and being covered if an odd circumstance happens. Giving up a little money now for insurance beats getting sued for a lot later.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » July 19th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Some thing you might want to check also is your state laws. I just learned that here in KY if you get injured while hunting on someone else's land that the state does provide insurance for you. I havent read all the details yet about it and be willing to bet that it probably sucks but a little is better than nothing.
Is it turkey season yet?

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » July 20th, 2012, 9:48 am

WildBill wrote:I've been hunting the same property for 5 years, but the landowner now wants me to have hunting lease insurance. Has anyone used American Hunting Lease Association? I've done some research and it seems to be the best price. It is $175 for 468 acres. Is there anything else I should be asking? There were not any membership fees.

Have you checked with your local general insurance companies. They might have something.

As Jim mentioned, perhaps your home owners/renters insurance could put a special rider on for you.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 20th, 2012, 10:34 am

Not sure if this provides the type of coverage you seek; NRA members can purchase hunting & trapping liability insurance at discount here http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/Excess.htm
$67 for $250,000 coverage.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » July 20th, 2012, 11:23 am

WildBill wrote:I've been hunting the same property for 5 years, but the landowner now wants me to have hunting lease insurance. Has anyone used American Hunting Lease Association? I've done some research and it seems to be the best price. It is $175 for 468 acres. Is there anything else I should be asking? There were not any membership fees.

Is he concerned about you injuring yourself or somone else and coming back to sue the landowner? Or is he concerned about potetnial property damage? My wife and I have an umbrella policy for quite a bit to cover us in case of something and that policy is pretty cheap.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 27th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Check with the QDMA, they offer insurance for $.13 an acre, so that would be $60.84 for your 468 acres.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion