Youth/Handicapped Hunt

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stankyolgobbler

Youth/Handicapped Hunt

Postby stankyolgobbler » June 20th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Hey guys! Long time no talk! I hope everyone had a very successful and exciting season! I was interested in putting on a hunt. I'm not a representative of an organization nor am I involved in such organization that could easily put something like this on. But as an individual with a strong passion for turkey hunting and a fondness of introducing people to the sport, I have recently gained interest in maybe taking an underprivileged youth or handicapped hunter on a turkey hunt. I believe that if several of us come together and try to reach out to those who aren't as fortunate, that we can instill something in them as well as help pass the tradition along. Aside from finding a candidate and just taking them on a hunt, I would have no other clue about how to go about it even though I would resort to it if it meant keeping the idea in place. Any input or interest in this subject would be appreciated. I am from Southeast, Alabama and I understand it wouldn't be a face to face matter as most of us are scattered throughout but I would like to hear from anyone interested. Thanks!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Cut N Run

Re: Youth/Handicapped Hunt

Postby Cut N Run » June 21st, 2012, 6:38 am

Great idea. You might contact your local NWTF chapter and see if you can connect with a wounded vet or child who is interested in turkey hunting. I would be happy to donate towards your project if you can get it up & running. Maybe by doing something small like sponsoring ammo, a sporting goods gift card, or even a T&TH camo hat(!) might help along the way. If enough people get behind your idea it will be a success. I have never organized anything like that so I can't speak from experience. The only suggestion I have to offer would be to contact local merchants or restaurants who would help you get things rolling. Get some other turkey hunters who care involved and it should end up making a difference in a deserving individual's life.

Good luck and let me know what I can do to help.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

stankyolgobbler

Re: Youth/Handicapped Hunt

Postby stankyolgobbler » June 21st, 2012, 8:58 pm

Good advice! Thank you! I am going to start with speaking to some of the local hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts as well as my local NWTF chapter and try to reach out to businesses to maybe get sponsors for the program. Maybe there can be a small but good start to this by the upcoming Spring. Any ideas on a name for the program. I understand it isn't as in depth as everything else that needs to go into it, but it will help in pitching it to any hunters, businesses, or landowners that would like to get involved or donate to the program. Thanks again!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion