Making of the New Spittin Feathers CD

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
TheCallDr

Making of the New Spittin Feathers CD

Postby TheCallDr » May 31st, 2012, 11:41 am

The NEW and first WildTalker Spittin' Feathers CD Volume 1 was a challenge. After 15 years of recording I had so much to choose from. One thing was for sure. The Original Spittin' Feathers that has 32 min of non-stop Turkey talk had to be included. It is truly a once in a lifetime recording. So I "re-mastered" it in HD Audio and cut out some repetive sections and the Plane...lol. It is now only 23 min long but the detail or clarity is what everyone will notice even if you have the original. It still remains today, the only time I have been able to record an Old Gobbler yelping and a must of any turkey hunters sound library.

Since a CD is 60 min long, I had to choose what to include. I decided to have no talking.... just turkeys and others critters "talk on the Wild side" , which is the WildTalker Game Calls slogan. Volume One ended up with 14 New tracks never released. I approached this project as if a person only had ONE CD. So I needed sounds that covered both spring and fall. Plus reference sounds hunters ( competition callers and call makers ). Which include Barred Owls, Hawk,Crow and Woodpecker.

Special Tracks include Drumming. The Spit and Drum are sounds that every hunter "needs to be listening" for in the spring. Most of us have been caught off guard when we do hear it. The gobbler is already on top of us and has us "pinned down". One slight movement and it's game over. This track has 2 primary turkeys yelping but the gobbler is standing right next to the microphone. The spit and drum is very obvious. Yet he never quits drumming because he is locked down in Strut mode. By this I mean, if you listen close..... the drumming never stops. Sometimes the Spit is all we hear ( or hear first ). These sounds are clearly defined as to have them in your head and what to listen for.

Another track is for the Fall Hunter. It's a young hen ( jenny ) yelping in a KEE note.She was seperated from her flock. I have named this Kee Yelping. At first you don't hear the 2 note yelp. Then as her calling gains more desperation it becomes more clear.It's very important to have a caller in the fall so you can make this KEEN high pitched Kee Yelp of a young hen.

Every track has sounds not repeated on others. The goal was to give a wide variety of turkey of both age and sex,for cadence,tone and pitch. This includes clear,raspy,nasal,course and "emotion".

This project is complete and now shipping them.

This New CD was mastered in HD Audio and requires the best player and speakers you have. It has been optimised to play on your iPod,iPhone,iPad or MP3 player. For this you need a good set of earbuds or headphones,not the stock ones. I can recomend goods ones but expect to pay 50-100 dollars. ( just PM me)

WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

TheCallDr

Re: Making of the New Spittin Feathers CD

Postby TheCallDr » May 31st, 2012, 2:13 pm

If you guys have any questions just ask or PM. If I need to post more info on the tracks, I will be glad to list all 15 and what is on them.

I guess the price is one? 10.00 delivered by check or PayPal.
WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 31st, 2012, 2:47 pm

I owned an earlier copy of Spittin' Feathers and passed it on to a buddy without computer access. His calling improved and his turkey hunting sense went way up because he now has a better understanding of what he's hearing.

How many hours do you have in capturing and editing turkey sounds for each CD?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » May 31st, 2012, 5:19 pm

Congrats Mike ....I know allot of competition
callers that will be buying them !!!
Break em at Night...Back at light

TheCallDr

Postby TheCallDr » May 31st, 2012, 6:41 pm

Jim

I started recording in 1995. It's not really the amount of hours as it is weeks,months and years. I sold Spittin Feathers to K&H in 1998. I acquired it back last year. I have continued to record since 95 and build up my library of sounds. In 2005 I upgraded my recording equipment to all HD digital.

I think the subject of getting turkeys recorded would make for a great "sticky". There I could explain How I got mine, what time of year and what equipment is needed ( cheeper than you would think this day and time with all things gone digital) . Plus the proper "set up" and audio software. I would love to have more people record. I never tire of hearing turkeys and all the sounds they make.
WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

TheCallDr

Postby TheCallDr » May 31st, 2012, 6:42 pm

turkeydoghunter wrote:Congrats Mike ....I know allot of competition
callers that will be buying them !!!

The Judges need them too ; )
WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

shaman

Postby shaman » June 1st, 2012, 5:32 am

You've been an inspiration to me. I've been trying to record turkeys for two years now. I can't say I'm all that good at it, but I'm having fun.

I finally landed a copy of Spittin' Feathers II last February. It was on closeout on the K&H website. Luckily I ripped it straight to MP3, and then stuck the CD in the truck to listen to it on my ride to work. There were some strange noises and the darn CD player broke. It's now been in there for months and I've not been able to get it out. However, I had all three on MP3 and listened to them frequently before season.

Here I am with my recording rig.

It's an umbrella hat stuck on a paint roller handle. That's a Sony Voice Recorder stuck on the end. I added two feet of broom handle this year so I'd have something to stick in the ground.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

onpoint

Postby onpoint » June 1st, 2012, 6:35 am

I have an htc android from Verizon. Will it run on that?
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

TheCallDr

Postby TheCallDr » June 1st, 2012, 3:58 pm

onpoint wrote:I have an htc android from Verizon. Will it run on that?

I don't know because I have all Apple stuff. If you can get a CD of any kind on it , it would work. In other words you need to find a way to download it to your cell phone. Maybe someone on here knows? I will check with someone and see if I can find out for sure.
WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

TheCallDr

Postby TheCallDr » June 1st, 2012, 6:13 pm

shaman wrote:You've been an inspiration to me. I've been trying to record turkeys for two years now. I can't say I'm all that good at it, but I'm having fun.

I finally landed a copy of Spittin' Feathers II last February. It was on closeout on the K&H website. Luckily I ripped it straight to MP3, and then stuck the CD in the truck to listen to it on my ride to work. There were some strange noises and the darn CD player broke. It's now been in there for months and I've not been able to get it out. However, I had all three on MP3 and listened to them frequently before season.

Here I am with my recording rig.

It's an umbrella hat stuck on a paint roller handle. That's a Sony Voice Recorder stuck on the end. I added two feet of broom handle this year so I'd have something to stick in the ground.

The new Spittin Feathers is by far the best CD I have done. The set up you have is great! Very cool! The number one piece of advice given to me when I started was...... get close to your subject. Yes...... it's a lot of fun and it will take many hours to get really good stuff. The great thing about getting good audio and video is it's just as much fun has hunting. Sounds like you got the Bug like me. If you need any help just PM and we can talk. Keep it up!
WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion