Poults on the ground

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Poults on the ground

Postby Cut N Run » May 27th, 2012, 10:47 am

Saw a gang of about 12 poults following mama hen around at the horse farm yesterday. They were pretty small, so they had to have hatched in the past few days. I hope there were more successful broods around there, that area definitely needs more birds.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Duke0002

Re: Poults on the ground

Postby Duke0002 » May 27th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Talked to a fella on Friday that saw 7 little ones on Wednesday.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 27th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Saw the first poults here in Wisconsin on May 10th while hunting. Little baseball sized feather balls that were fluttering up and down in an alfalfa field apparently bugging.
Since then I have seen several hens with poult groups of 4 to 8 each. Some softball size and a bit bigger.
Looks to be a very good year for all game birds around here.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » May 28th, 2012, 6:25 am

I saw a brood a week ago Sunday here in Ohio
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 28th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Haven't seen any poults here yet, but all the hens were on the nest and my season here was over before it started. I was in Wisconsin the first week and by the time I hunted Michigan May 14, there were zero birds coming to the call, gobbles were rare and strutters even rarer. You were left to try and pattern the birds and hope to luck out. I have to say that once the hens are on the nest there isn't much of a pattern. Saw 5 gobblers grouped back together two days ago.

Not much you can do about the weather but that doesn't make it any less disheartening.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » May 28th, 2012, 9:47 pm

We cut about 100 acres of hay so far this year and I've only seen one nest, which was already hatched out. To be honest I'm glad I only saw one, because that means we didn't run over any while we were cutting. I know there was plenty of breeding going on before season started and I believe that we'll have a good hatch this year. I hope to see a few groups a poults soon, though!
Brian

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 31st, 2012, 12:56 pm

my father seen a wad of 8-10 poults with there mother about 2 wks ago now...

its kind of a bummer but we had a hen hang n around our house B4 we went out west to try & collect a merriams... so once we got back last wk i cut the grass & plowed up the garden then went out of town for the holiday wk-end came back tuesday & was finishing planting sweet corn when i got to the end of the row i looked down & seen what i thought was a baby rabbit i looked closer & it was a baby turkey i grabbed it & it looked weak like i may have stepped on it? so i called my dad over & he took it & maid a box for it we put a baby chicken in by it & it perked up? i looked around some more & found a dead poult it looked like it was steped on or our atv ran it over? but any way that hen must of hatched out the babys on my property & they were days old so IDK what happend but we saved 1 poult!!! my brother wife & his daughter have it now & my neice will try & tame it up as she has a baby chicken that follows here around like she is the hen!!! lol hope the baby turkey dose the same!!!

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 3rd, 2012, 7:36 pm

Saw a hen with 8 robin sized poults in Minneapolis today.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 5th, 2012, 7:28 am

Yesterday, I saw a hen with a gang of youngsters, not sure how many, but it was more than four.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 5th, 2012, 9:31 am

I've been seeing a bunch of hens, but they are all in the hay fields and the hay is too high to see little ones. Been seeing a few gobblers also in the fields still stutting.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion