Coyotes coming in to turkey calls

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Steve_In

Coyotes coming in to turkey calls

Postby Steve_In » May 11th, 2012, 11:41 am

How many of you have had coyotes come in to your calling? Wednesday I was carring on a conversation with a hen at about 9:00 AM. I had set up, called a couple of times and she answered from behind me. She would yelp, cut and cluck and I was giving it right back to her. I eased around the tree to give me a view of the direction she was in. This cut off some area to my right. We were going at it for about 10 minutes when I heard putts and heavy wingbeats from the blind spot. I thought she busted me and got out of there, but her yelps were from in front me. I heard some noise from my right and shortly a coyote came straight at me from that direction. I swung my gun to cover him and he verred off but stopped when I yelped. I could have, maybe should have dropped him right there but I was not sure if it would have been legal. He must not have liked the looks of those 10 bore eyes stareing at him and took off. I got out my water and took a drink when the hen started back up. She flew down and landed in front of me. We exchanged some clucks and then she wandered off. I am sure there was another bird that flushed as she came in from a different direction. Pretty exciting stuff for a while.
I had another yote come into my decoys a few years ago. He got my sent from where I had walked around putting the decoys out. The one Wednesday was coming to my calling.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Re: Coyotes coming in to turkey calls

Postby turkey junky » May 11th, 2012, 12:37 pm

that coyote would of caught some hot lead or heavy shot 5s & i would not of thought twice about it... i would of said look what i found out in the woods today boys!!!

yes i called in & let my little cousin blast a fat female coyote this season in MN he was answering turkey calls & came sneaking in he busted me put n my gun up but i lipped squeeked & its turned around & came bounding into our set up at 35 steps i told my cuz blast him!!! & i was dead as heck!!! it was prego so i feel happy that i was ablt to help kill at least 1 coyote & 5-7 pups there is was to many around the U.S. later that night we herd 20-25 other coyotes howling all around!!!

my father & i have shot coyotes in MN & NE coming to turkey calls almost shot 1 in KS but to far away!!! & i will start to carry my rabbit in distress call with me so i can call in & shoot any other coyote i see while out turkey hunting!!! THE ONLY GOOD COYOTE IN TURKEY SEASON IS A DEAD COYOTE!!!

the norm in OKLAHOMA, KANSAS, NEBRASKA, SOUTH DAKOTA, MONTANA,WYOMING MINNESOTA & WISCONSIN is to shoot the coyote if he comes into your turkey calls & leave him lay after you shoot it & just continue hunting you did your GOOD DEED for the day in the turkey woods...

as you can see I HAVE NO LOVE FOR COYOTEs!!! i have them running in my yard snatching bantum chickens all the time lots of coyote have died of lead poisoning around my neck of the woods!!!

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 11th, 2012, 12:52 pm

In PA the game commission allows and encourages the taking of coyotes year round.

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » May 11th, 2012, 1:41 pm

In the last two seasons, I have shot more coyotes than turkeys I am afraid. 4 to 1 ratio so far on public land.
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 11th, 2012, 1:56 pm

I had a real nice gobbler coming in this year that I had broke away from the flock and he was coming in on a string. Only needed him to come another 30 steps when the whole flock took off running and flying along with him. I looked to my left and there was a yote standing their, he was lucky he was a little too far out or he would have got the load of #4's meant for Tommy Boy. If we get them in range in WI we shoot them. They are open year round as long as you have a small game license! Population is way to high and with the lack of snow this year, the yote hunters didn't get near as many as they usually do!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 11th, 2012, 4:02 pm

I hear coyotes before dawn fairly often, but haven't had any come to my set up. I probably reek of bug juice, sweat, and Thermacell enough to keep the coyotes at a distance. Both horse farm owners where I hunt indicated that I am to take out any coyotes I see.

My buddy E.P. killed a couple last year that were sneaking up on him as he was calling.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 11th, 2012, 4:49 pm

I would have busted him on private land and not said a word. I was on state land and not sure of coyotes status. Indiana has a season, but if you have permission from a landowner you can hunt them anytime. Also since I am hunting with my muzzleloader I really don't want to dirty it up on anything but a turkey. I will check tomorrow and see if it is OK.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » May 11th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Twice, once last year and once last week. Last year I set up at about 9:00 and had a coyote come in when I was calling on my box call. He came in fast and was very weary, he only got to within 60 yards and didn't hang out long because I think he suspected something. Last week I took a buddy hunting and at about 15 minutes after first light we had a coyote come within 10 steps of us!!! My buddy turned around and folded him in his tracks!! ;)
Brian

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » May 11th, 2012, 7:07 pm

I've had yotes, bobcats, and foxes come in to calling. We have a furbearer season here in South Carolina which includes the bobcats and foxes (not open during turkey season) but the yotes are fair game all year. I busted one in my backyard last year. They are doing a lot of studies on the damage they are doing to deer and turkeys here in SC. Season is wide open either way.
South Carolina Low Country

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 11th, 2012, 9:01 pm

i called in a few coyotes one afternoon nthe end of turkey season they were trying to slip thru the tall grass on my dekes. i also called a fox up right before opening day where id been seeing birds.i really need to do some SEVERE preadator managment i think.. the yotes here get cranked up and turkeys will always gobble at em they just dont enjoy the same relationship with my coyote howler. will trapping the coons, coyotes, and hawks make a good difference in one year.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion