Coyotes coming in to turkey calls

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Chief Many Longbeards

Re: Coyotes coming in to turkey calls

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » May 14th, 2012, 11:01 am

i've had coyotes bust a tom i had comin in several times and had others come to my calls, but i never shoot them cause i am afraid a shot might scare off any turkeys in the area.
couple years ago a buddy watched a yote sneak up on his decoy, jump in the air and pounce on it and impale himself on the stake. the yote ran off with the stake and deke stuck on him. my buddy found the deke but not the stake.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 19th, 2012, 7:43 am

Coons are nest predators and they are the primary cause of the demise of the Bob White in the South. I'm sure they will work on turkey eggs, given the opportunity. Coyotes are opportunist predators that primarily hunt live prey. Both need to go. Be careful with hawks as they are federally protected. The Possum Police frown on trappin' 'em.

Two experience with coyotes.
One in NW FL on Eglin Reservation. Workin' a stubborn tom and next thing I know, I see a blur to my right, comin' thru the air. Had to knock off his charge with butt of my scattergun. :o :o Was knocked off balance and couldn't get a shot.

The other was on private ground in KS. Had a lone hen deke out and he walked by it til' the wind made it move and he jumped it. Left in lyin' once he discovered it was a fake. Didn't shoot for fear of spookin' the gobbler I was workin'. :roll:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 19th, 2012, 11:30 am

From the response I got it appears most turkey hunters have had run-ins with coyotes or know someone that has. They seem to rise and fall in population probably due more to deasise than hunting pressure in most areas.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 31st, 2012, 12:34 pm

coyotes population will continue to rise if they have ample food & space to live... coyote populations rise & falls co-inside with prey populations in a area... kill a coyote save a turkey... packs of coyotes roam the country side looking/hunting & if they come across a hen turkey sit n on a nest they will kill it & eat it it period... so lets do our part & return the favor to the coyotes!!!

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion