Decoys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ticklishtompro

Decoys

Postby ticklishtompro » May 7th, 2012, 10:22 pm

I am curious and want to hear some different opinions. I always struggle with the decision of if to use decoys and which combination to use. I have seen many a birds shy away from them, yet I have had birds run across a field to get to them. I have a pair of Avian X hens that I love using, maybe just cause if you take that nap against a tree and wake up they make you do a double take! I sometimes use a 1/4 strut jake right behind a hen to trigger the aggression, and once in a great while I put out my B-mobile, which has a small beat-up fan on it. I like to have him look like a subordinate gobbler.

Now heading into the 5th period in WI I am debating if I go with a single hen or maybe with the jake. Just curios to hear what you all think and which way you would go. But I want your reasoning as to why you would use what and not just the old "It just always seems to work"

Thanks for looking!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

bamabirdbuster13

Re: Decoys

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 8th, 2012, 12:26 pm

i hunt with my decoys alot. i usually try to set them in as much of a non threatening position as possible. i like to put my hen on the otherside of my strutter with my strutter/ jake facing towards me and about 10 yards away.i also try to put my dekes out of site as possible from oncomming birds that way they see em and they dont have as much time to pick out the details of whats real or not. its really easy on alot of these terraced ag fields. the only birds ive had hang up on me were on a single hen set up where the toms were able to see the hen for about 100 yards . thats why i use a strutter/jake in combination now.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion