Game Vest

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
hckyplayer8

Game Vest

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 5th, 2012, 11:22 pm

I was wondering if anybody has even see a game vest that would be large enough to accomodate a turkey?

If they don't, they should. Carrying it out from those long hikes can be stressful on the forearms.

kygobbler

Re: Game Vest

Postby kygobbler » May 5th, 2012, 11:28 pm

Are you wanting something besides a turkey vest? I know the Super Elite 3 you can put 2 birds in it. Yes, some of the birds will be sticking out but they will stay in.
Is it turkey season yet?

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 5th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Nope. In fact the plainer, the better. Just something that I can shove the birds in and throw on my back like a backpack.

My goal is to eventually be able to bike back into my honey holes.

Biking would cut so much extra time out. No more waking up at 330-400 so I can get ready,drive half hr to my spot and then hike an hr back in.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 6th, 2012, 8:05 am

I think I would rig a carring device on my bike.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 6th, 2012, 10:17 am

I know some guys who hunt the public gamelands near the coast that have great service roads & fire roads on them, which are closed to hunter's motorized vehicles. They've rigged up trailers for their bikes to haul stuff farther into the woods than any hikers can get quickly. I hope you come up with something that helps make your hunts easier.

I have a Limbhanger vest and I've toted a 20 pound bird out in it. The information tag that came with the vest claimed that the game bag was blood-proof, but I still got blood down the backs of my legs on the way out. Carrying a turkey out by hand works on my elbows more than my forearms, but it is a good kind of hurt.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » May 6th, 2012, 1:24 pm

HS Strut makes a blaze orange game bag that folds up, you can put your turkey in it then use it like a back pack.
Twitter: @edvogler

retranger

Postby retranger » May 6th, 2012, 1:48 pm

The information tag that came with the vest claimed that the game bag was blood-proof, but I still got blood down the backs of my legs on the way out
Jim I carry bread bags in my vest, then just put one over the turkeys head and tie it around the neck with string. Saves bloody pants.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 6th, 2012, 6:50 pm

To me, bloody pants and a sore shoulder are as much a part of the entire process as 3" #5's

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » May 6th, 2012, 8:08 pm

sites that sell turkey gear have "turkey totes" for 5 bucks or less. just a nylon strap with loops of rope on each end that you slip over each turkey leg so you can carry it out on your shoulder. hardly any stress on the arms.
i've also taken the sling off my shotgun and tied each end around a leg and put it on my shoulder.
i stuff em in my vest if i have a long haul, though.
either way is a heck of a lot easier than the classic tv/video/picture shot of the successful hunter carrying out his bird over the shoulder. that gets tiring in a hurry.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 6th, 2012, 9:09 pm

A friend of mine makes and markets turkey slings, they are great. He sells them for $5 and 100% of the profit goes to the American Cancer Society! PM me for info.

Randy
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion