Permethrin is your friend

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Permethrin is your friend

Postby Cut N Run » May 4th, 2012, 3:29 pm

I decided to give permethrin a try this year as an insect repellent because I'd heard how well it works for the past several years. I'm pretty hard-headed, which is why it took me so long to try the stuff. By this part of the turkey season each year, I am usually loaded with tick, chigger, and mosquito bites. Not this year. Wow, does that stuff really work! I only realized how well it works because yesterday afternoon after work I took one of the horse trails back above the swamp to repair one of my low brush blinds which was battered by a hail storm earlier in the week. It has been hotter than usual and I didn't have time to hunt, so I just jogged back there in shorts, work boots, and a T-shirt unprotected by any bug repellant. I couldn't believe the number of ticks and chiggers that were crawling on me when I got back to the truck. The limbs at the blind weren't in as bad a shape as I figured they might be and it just took a few minutes to get the blind back to where it was right again. My total time spent in those woods yesterday was less than 40 minutes. I have hunted those woods really hard this Spring and I haven't found the first tick or chigger crawling on me from hunting anywhere...and I hunt in some seriously dank and buggy places. When I'm wearing my treated hunting clothes, mosquitoes only hover for a few seconds and fly off towards easier targets.

If biting bugs are ruining your time afield, try treating your clothes with permethrin a few days before you go next time and be prepared to be impressed as you hunt bug-free. It even lasts for several clothes washings too! It makes regular bug spray seem stupid.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

RCTaylor

Re: Permethrin is your friend

Postby RCTaylor » May 4th, 2012, 5:29 pm

never heard of it . will check into it . where do you get it?
Clyde

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 4th, 2012, 5:50 pm

I saw it at multiple Dick's Sporting Goods locations in the camping section. I got mine at NC Hunter's Supply in Raleigh.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » May 4th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Thanks Jim. will check it out. Hpoe your hunting goes better this last week of the season.
Clyde

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 4th, 2012, 9:27 pm

i use permetherin in pest control in a liquid form is it the same application.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 5th, 2012, 7:15 am

You can get it at any Wally World in the camping section.

Permethrin is the ingredient, The brand name of the spray is REPEL Permanone. I've been using it since I started going to Missouri In 1994 where the ticks will carry you away.

Great stuff!
Last edited by Fan Club on May 7th, 2012, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 5th, 2012, 8:02 am

I've been using it for about 10 years. It works great for keeping the skeeters and ticks away from you, I spray all my hunting close with it and it will kill ticks that get on you. I buy the Repel brand and it works great, just don't spray in on your skin.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » May 5th, 2012, 1:23 pm

I treated my hunting clothes with Sawyers brand this spring. Got it in the camping section at Bass Pro.

Never had much of a tick problem in past years, but with the mild winter I wanted to try it. So far so good! Advertised that one treatment is good for up to 6 washings.

Now, if the scientists can figure out a poison ivy repellent....

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 6th, 2012, 4:20 am

Will this stuff work on gnats also? Ticks and skeeters dont bother me but its agrevating as heck when your aiming at a bird and gnat flies in your eye.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 6th, 2012, 9:59 am

Sawyer is the brand I have been using. Jeff, your suggestion last year is what got me using that stuff. We don't have gnats where I hunt, so I can't say how effective it may or may not be on them.

I started carrying a Thermacell with me last year and the combination of the two is almost like having a force field against bugs around me. It also gives me great pleasure to know that all the ticks and chiggers that crawl on me are going to die!

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion